A Card and A Cake

As well as being a scorcher of a week in the UK this week, it has also been my Dad’s birthday.  It was sweltering in my craft room so I ended up making a quick fish-themed card, since fishing is one of my Dad’s hobbies.

To begin, I die cut DAD using some large letter dies and cut the wavy, stitched edge to make the front shorter so that more of the patterned paper would show.

For my card liner, I cut the same wavy edge and attached the offcut of patterned paper from the front of the card.  I found another offcut of the same paper so cut out the letters again to stick onto the envelope.

The final steps were some simple sentiment-stamping and gluing the card onto the patterned paper and the counters (the cut-out bits) into the letter holes.

I also made Dad a construction scene cake, inspired by one made by my friend Amanda, from Inspiring Inkin’.  (She also has an amazing chocolate buttercream recipe on the same blog post!)  Whilst I made the cake, Mr L bought a variety of chocolate goodies to create rocks and boulders, together with many, many Kit Kats for the surround.  The mini diggers are from Amazon.  Working on this was somewhat of a challenge in the 27˚C heat, I can tell you – it did taste lovely though!

Twist ‘n’ Pop

I’ve been binge watching fancy fold card videos on YouTube lately.  A fancy fold definitely adds a bit of WOW! to a card.  They usually take a little longer to make but are worth the effort.  This card was made using Sam Calcott’s (of Mixed Up Craft fame) tutorial.  Her instructions are really clear and easy to follow.

My theme for this week’s card was a 60th birthday for my friend.  She’s a fun, bubbly and stylish lady so I wanted the same kind of feel for her card.  

To begin, I wanted a black and white striped background.  I only had skinny striped paper so I drew some deliberately wonky lines with my black marker pen and coloured them in, several times, to give a rich black colour.

Next, using my Cricut, I cut my sentiment from black and gold vinyl and stuck it onto the panel.  I added some gold dots in the corners where I would later add the decorative elements.

For the decorative elements, I used Stampin’ Up! Dressed To Impress stamps.  I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the perfume bottle to resemble glass.

Now for the inside.  First, I added some decorative panels to the card base.

Then it was time for the mechanism.  It looks really complicated and would be tricky to explain on paper (screen?!) but Sam explains it really well in her video so I urge you to watch that.  I couldn’t decide what to put on the 4 panels inside until I realised that BIRTHDAY has 8 letters!  There wasn’t room for ‘Happy’ so I added in some small panels to the top of the 1st panel and bottom of the 4th panel for the ‘Happy’ and ‘Katie’ to personalise the card.  I trialled about 4 small panels until I got ones that were the right size and didn’t drag on card as it opened and closed.

The final job was to glue the front panel into the card base and add some gold-coloured gems for extra pizzazz.

This was such a fun card to make and I think it definitely has the WOW! factor I was after. Here’s a short clip of my card in action.

Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!