Twist ‘n’ Pop

I’ve been binge watching fancy fold card videos on YouTube lately.  A fancy fold definitely adds a bit of WOW! to a card.  They usually take a little longer to make but are worth the effort.  This card was made using Sam Calcott’s (of Mixed Up Craft fame) tutorial.  Her instructions are really clear and easy to follow.

My theme for this week’s card was a 60th birthday for my friend.  She’s a fun, bubbly and stylish lady so I wanted the same kind of feel for her card.  

To begin, I wanted a black and white striped background.  I only had skinny striped paper so I drew some deliberately wonky lines with my black marker pen and coloured them in, several times, to give a rich black colour.

Next, using my Cricut, I cut my sentiment from black and gold vinyl and stuck it onto the panel.  I added some gold dots in the corners where I would later add the decorative elements.

For the decorative elements, I used Stampin’ Up! Dressed To Impress stamps.  I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the perfume bottle to resemble glass.

Now for the inside.  First, I added some decorative panels to the card base.

Then it was time for the mechanism.  It looks really complicated and would be tricky to explain on paper (screen?!) but Sam explains it really well in her video so I urge you to watch that.  I couldn’t decide what to put on the 4 panels inside until I realised that BIRTHDAY has 8 letters!  There wasn’t room for ‘Happy’ so I added in some small panels to the top of the 1st panel and bottom of the 4th panel for the ‘Happy’ and ‘Katie’ to personalise the card.  I trialled about 4 small panels until I got ones that were the right size and didn’t drag on card as it opened and closed.

The final job was to glue the front panel into the card base and add some gold-coloured gems for extra pizzazz.

This was such a fun card to make and I think it definitely has the WOW! factor I was after. Here’s a short clip of my card in action.

Lost Socks?

Mr L and I each have separate wash baskets and do our own washing.  Now, one of Mr L’s special skills is losing his socks in the wash.  He always has a selection of odd socks lying on top of his sock drawer so I thought I’d make him this lost sock organiser for a fun birthday present.   Now, as I had left it until the last minute to decide to make this, I couldn’t paint a piece of wood as there wasn’t time for the coats of paint to dry.  So, instead I decided to cover the board with fabric.

First, I cut out my words in heat transfer vinyl.  After a few false starts, namely forgetting to weld the letters so the cursive words came out as a single piece and then forgetting to mirror the cut so the letters would be the correct way round to be stuck on, I finally got the words cut.  I used my cutting mat to align them and ensure they were level before using my Cricut Heat Press to stick them onto the fabric.

The next job was to prepare the board.  I glued two layers of wadding onto the board before gluing my main fabric on top.  Then I tuned the board over, folded in the raw edges and tacked the fabric to the board using my staple gun, pulling the edges taut around the board.

The last job was to mark the locations for the pegs.  I used a heat erasable pen and my T-square ruler for this before attaching the pegs with my hot glue gun.   The advantage of the heat erasable pen is that when my lines turned out to be longer than my pegs, I could easily remove the marks by lightly rubbing the (clean!) hot nozzle of my hot glue gun over the fabric.  I could have used a hot iron too.

Here’s the finished article.  Mr L loves it!  It made him laugh when he opened it, he’s just concerned that it doesn’t have enough pegs!!

Flower Shadow Box

At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.  I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.

To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut.  It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice.  After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.

Flower templates cut from Stampin’ Up! card in Real Red, Lovely Lipstick, Melon Mambo, Cherry Cobbler, Blackberry Bliss and Rich Razzleberry

Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals.  Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.

The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.

I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.