Papa Bear

Today is Father’s Day in the UK so I’m sharing my cards that I made for my Dad and Father-in-Law.  I wanted to use the cute bear from the stamp set ‘Happy Day’ from the Colorado Craft Company – I thought it’d be a great focal image for a masculine card.

First, I stamped the bears using Versafine black ink, which is waterproof once it’s dry, and then water-coloured them.  One was a hairy bear, the other a more smooth coated bear!  I cut them down into slim panels.

Next was my mat layer and background for my bear panels.  I used Stampin’ Up! Snow Front and Waterfront stamp sets to create the mountain and forest backgrounds.  Whilst these are a different illustrative style to the bear, they fit nicely with the bear’s habitat.

For my sentiment, I used Lawn Fawn’s Happy Happy Happy, heat embossed with copper powder.  I triple stacked the ‘happy’ die cuts for a little extra dimension.

Here are my final cards.  I stamped the card liner and envelope with the tree stamp and added a gold rhinestone onto the centre on the flower.

Festive Floating Window

I saw this card style on a YouTube video by Scrimpingmommy and thought it’d be fun to try.  As it transpired, I got completely carried away with it and made 4 bases ready for decorating!  I used Stampin’ Up! Perfectly Plaid, Stitched Stars and Brightly Gleaming for my decorative elements.  Although I’ve made Christmas cards, this style of card can be used for any occasion.

My card bases are 5¾” x 8¼”, a little less than half a sheet of cardstock, and scored at 4⅛”.  For this card, the front needs to be cut into three so I cut mine equally at 1⅜”.  For the window section, I cut a piece of acetate 1¾” wide by a smidge under 5¾”.  I discarded the centre portion and applied thin adhesive tape to the top and bottom edges of the acetate.

Next, I cut some layers from card and DSP to decorate the top and bottom panels of the card.

The easiest way to line up the acetate panel is to clip the bottom section to the card base, line up the acetate with the edges of the card and overlapping the bottom section.

Holding the acetate in position, I removed the backing paper from the adhesive and folded the top section of the card down into place.  I then removed the clips and stuck the bottom section into position.  That completed the floating window card base.  Once you’ve got your card ‘recipe’ sorted, you can knock these out in record time!

I decorated the liner with the same card and DSP.

Now for the decorative elements.  I only applied glue to the sections that would be on the card so that a gluey mess wouldn’t be visible through the acetate.  Firstly, Brightly Gleaming ornaments with copper embossing powder.

Mossy Meadow, Cherry Cobbler and Very Vanilla cardstock with Brightly Gleaming DSP and Christmas Gleaming stamps

Next was the Stitched Stars using Copper Foil paper.

Night of Navy, Whisper White cardstock, Copper Foil and Brightly Gleaming DSP.

Snowflake Splendour DSP with silver heat embossed trees from Perfectly Plaid.

Misty Moonlight and Night of Navy cardstock, Snowflake Splendour DSP and Perfectly Plaid trees. I used the (retired) mercury acetate on this for a snowy background.

Lastly, my favourite, Brightly Gleaming DSP with copper heat embossed trees.

Pretty Peacock and Very Vanilla cardstock with Brightly Gleaming DSP and Perfectly Plaid trees.

I hope you give these a try.  They’re really fun to make and look stunning!

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

A Week of Firsts

Here we are at the end of the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and it’s presented me with a few firsts.  My first new experience was to cut Mr L’s hair! Now, I’ve never cut anyone’s hair before but I’ve watched our hairdresser cut Mr L’s hair many times.  She makes it look so easy.  It isn’t!  It took me a while but we got there in the end and Mr L still has both ears!

#covidhaircut

My second ‘first’ was to attempt to make naan breads.  I’d made my favourite dhal recipe when I noticed a naan bread recipe in the same book and, since we had all the ingredients, I though I’d have a bash.  They were not quite like the restaurant ones but were delicious nonetheless.

My third ‘first’ was an introduction to a technique called Inlaid Embossing.  Amanda (from Inspiring Inkin’) showed this on her Facebook crafting group this week and it looked interesting.

To begin, I used the ½”, ¾” and 1” circle punches to cut a mix of circles in 3 coordinating colours.

These were glued randomly onto my mat layer and any overhanging edges trimmed off.

I then put the pieces into embossing folders and ran them through the Big Shot to create a textured background.

I didn’t want to overwhelm the background as that was the main feature so I used some polka dot ribbon and a butterfly from Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala.

My second card featured burlap ribbon and a tree from Rooted in Nature.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!