This week has involved a veritable feast of crafts!
Firstly, it was my Mum-in-Law’s birthday. Despite her saying that she didn’t need anything, you can’t not get anything for your nearest and dearest. I crocheted a blanket for her from a pattern called Rosslyn by Helen Shrimpton….
….and made her a set of birthday cards.
Next was her actual birthday card which was inspired by another SU! demonstrator from Mituso Crafts who kindly shared a YouTube video on how to make a pop-up wiper card without using any dies for the mechanism.
After making a mock-up of the mechanism to check I could make it work(!) I set to work stamping and colouring in frogs. At this stage, I didn’t really have a design as such in mind, but I knew I’d need a few frogs!
The front gives nothing away about what’s inside.
This is the inside once it’s opened.
And this is the card in action!
Second this week was the start of the new series of The Great British Sewing Bee. I LOVE watching this programme. I’m not sure that having a limited time restriction would make the creating quite as enjoyable for me. I like to get started, shilly-shally about a bit, get distracted doing something else entirely, and then go back to what I was doing in the first place! Anyway, it’s very apparent there’s a very talented bunch on the programme this year and I look forward to seeing what they create in the coming weeks. So, it got me thinking about sewing and whilst it’s not clothing, it is a sewing project that I’d planned to create this year in time for Christmas. The project is hand embroidered ornaments depicting the song ‘The 12 Days of Christmas’ and I figure I’ve got 9 months to get them all done – now that’s my kind of timescale!! There are 15 decorations as it’s only one per day plus a few extras (like the pear), not 12 lords a-leaping etc. as I’m certain that making 78 would put me well into my ‘I’ve had enough of this project’ zone! The patterns are by Larissa Holland and are not cheap but they are comprehensive, very well written and the designs are beautiful. A full blog post will be forthcoming later in the year but for now I have completed the First Day: the partridge and the pear.
The reverse side is not patterned but does have the day number embroidered in a lovely font.
The third thing this week was, of course, Valentine’s Day. Mr. L Loves Valentine’s Day and had requested a few hours’ access to my craft room and some supplies. He made a really cool pop-up card, with a design which he cut out with a craft knife, and bought me a lovely bottle of fizz. I stamped a card for him using the Baby Bear set and pyrographed a fun little sign for his man cave.