I’ve been painting this week; a Valentine’s card for Mr L and an actual picture! There are some wonderful YouTube tutorials available for beginner painters and I’m a big fan of Karen Rice’s paintings, style and teaching.
My card was a line and wash using another Anita Jeram stamp. Those rabbits are so cute! I lifted out the paint in the sky to create the heart shaped clouds.
When I die cut the panel, I had to use the partial die cutting technique and the die marked the panel so I had to add the ribbon, which unfortunately hides most of the cloud.
I decorated the envelope using a white gel pen.
My painting was done following Karen Rice’s Silver Birch Trees Step By Step video. I was first drawn to this particular tutorial because there’s no drawing involved. The trees are masked using strips of tape (I used framing tape) and then the first stage of painting is done over the top.
There are some fun techniques to try during the painting. Here’s a close up of the salt starting to do it’s magic, creating the spidery textures, and the grasses created by scraping the paint with the corner of a plastic card.
Once the paint had dried, I brushed off the salt and added some spatters in white and yellow for impressions of wild flowers. When this was dry, I removed the tape to reveal my trees.
The next stage was to bring the trees to life. First, the dark marks on the trunks were added in a random pattern, which I found is actually harder than it seems. When they were dry, I added the shadows to the right side of the trunks to indicate that the light is coming from the left. I inadvertently did some dry brush technique, which really helped to add texture to the trunks. The last task was to add some grasses to soften the hard edges at the bottom of the trunks.
I really enjoyed doing this painting and trying out the fun techniques along the way.
It was Valentine’s Day on Friday and whilst we don’t buy big presents or go out and get fleeced for a distinctly average meal, I do enjoy making a card for Mr L. He generally gets his crafting on and asks for access to my craft room to make me a card too – which I LOVE! I don’t get many handmade cards. I’ve just got the This Little Piggy set and thought it would be perfect to use for my card using the mirror stamping technique. I wrote a blog post last March on how to do this technique, it’s linked at the end if you’d like a refresh.
To begin, I mirror stamped my pigs.
Next, I coloured them in using some alcohol markers and also drew in some more grass in the gap in the middle to unite the two images.
I then stamped the pig on the front and back of a post-it note and cut around them to create two masks. Note: The ink stamped on the adhesive on the back of the note stayed wet for a long time so I repeatedly pressed the adhesive part on scrap paper.
Using the bunch of hearts from Forever Lovely, I second generation stamped using Rococo Rose and Lovely Lipstick inks. I also stamped the trio of smaller hearts from the same set and then removed the masks.
I wanted a fun, pig-based sentiment for my card so I hand lettered one.
Lastly, I mounted the piece on Lovely Lipstick and Basic Black mat layers and then onto a Real Red cardbase. I finished by adding some epoxy heart droplets over some of the stamped hearts for some dimension and a couple of pink hearts to frame the sentiment.
The idea for this card came to me whilst trying to think of a quick project to make an anniversary card for Mr L. It had to be quick as we were going on holiday for our anniversary and I had to make it in the hour before the taxi picked us up and I hadn’t even finished packing! Panic crafting at it’s best!! It uses the partial die cutting technique to get the opening heart shape and would be perfect for anniversary, valentine and wedding cards. I also wanted to have a go at hand lettering for the sentiment to fill the heart spaces.
Since the card for Mr L was made in somewhat of a rush, it opens the wrong way (!) and the front heart overhangs the edge. I had thought that was an error but when I made the MkII version, I realised it was due to the card stock not being wide enough so the second version is only single fold rather than bifold. I used a heart die but circle dies would also work.
The partial die cut is made by placing the die in position on the card front, overlapping the score line, and lining the top cutting pad up along the score line.
When run through the Big Shot, the die will not cut beyond the cutting pad. I trimmed the excess off down the score line to create the heart shaped front.
I die cut a smaller heart for the front and a piece of Gingham Gala DSP for the inside and decorated them with hand lettering.
I used the cat punch and some silver glimmer paper to make the two cats for the front.
I also punched two cats from the gingham paper for the back of the cats.
I reversed the cats on this card and intertwined the tails rather than having them head to head.