Marvellous Metallics

Last week I used foil sheets and embossing folders to provide interesting focal panels.  This week, I’m still embossing but using metallic embossing powder and heat.  I love using the metallic powders on dark card stock, especially the heating part – watching the powder melt and transform from matt granules to glorious shine!  Line style stamps work best for this technique so I decided an outing for the floral elements of Tea Together was in order.

I began by generously applying the Embossing Buddy over my Basic Black card front to remove static and oils from my fingers which would attract the embossing powder.  Next, I random stamped the various images using Versamark, rotating them and stamping off the edge too.  I also stamped another small flower on a scrap of black card, the sentiment and the large rose onto the liner.  I then applied gold embossing powder to the stamping and heat set it.

For my mat layer, I didn’t have enough gold foil sheet so I manufactured a bit using embossing powder.  This is a handy tip to employ too if your embossing powder doesn’t quite match your foil sheets.  To do this, I simply pressed the edges of the card onto the Versamark pad and then applied the powder.  It wasn’t completely uniform, more of a ‘hammered’ finish but I liked it.  If you wanted it to be smooth, you can apply another layer over the top.

My sentiment was embossed onto velum, which is not very forgiving when it comes to adhesive as the adhesive shows through.  I applied a large blob that I knew would be covered by my small flower decal and some teeny tiny dots behind the letters.

The last stage was to add the liner to the inside and then assemble the layers and top it off with the flower decal on some foam dimensionals.

My second card used the same stamps on Basic Grey card and silver embossing powder.  For the mat layer, I used plain velum for an understated look.

The third card features Night of Navy card and copper embossing powder with a copper foil sheet mat layer.

My last card used Basic Grey and silver embossing powder and the small flower.  After heat setting the powder, I used the Chalk Marker to add three small lines to each petal for some added interest.  The background looked a little bare still so I also added little groups of three dots.  (I was introduced to the “power of the dot” when I did my cake decorating course in prep for making my wedding cake).  Small but very effective!

Four cards using the same stamps and technique but with quite different results!

 

 

 

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!

Paper Piecing & Tea Together

This is a technique I was introduced to at the Stampin’ Up! team training last month. It uses outline stamps that you would usually colour in but patterned paper is used instead.  It requires some fussy cutting but the finished look is really quite effective.

The demonstration used the Beautiful You stamp set which looked great but I don’t have that so I used the Tea Together set as it was the only suitable set I have that would work with the technique.  I also used some blue Gingham Gala DSP and a Balmy Blue card base.

First, I stamped the cup image and then stamped it again on a Post-it Note to create a mask and fussy cut around the right-hand side of the image.  This is because I wanted to create some perspective by stamping the teapot so that it looks like it’s placed behind the cup.

Sorry! This pic is a bit blurred.

Once this was done, I stamped both images onto the gingham paper.

I decided which parts of the images I wanted to have the gingham pattern and fussy cut them (I later decided against the teapot lid).

All that was left to do was to glue the patterned paper into the appropriate positions and then mounted the piece onto the card base.  I finished the card with some flower shaped sequins.

 

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!