Patient Puss

Like me, my sister is a big fan of cats so, when it came to making a card for her birthday, it called for another outing for Mooch (Lavinia stamps). I’d recently bought a gel press plate for making backgrounds using mixed media so this was a first outing for that – and for me using it!

To begin, I brayered some Distress Oxide inks in Weathered Wood and Duck Egg onto the gel plate, spritzed with a little water, then pressed my card onto the plate.  This would colour the moon.  Next, I applied a selection of pink and purple Oxides onto the gel plate, added an acetate circle to mask the area for the moon, spritzed with water again and then pressed the card onto the plate.

I wanted the cat to be highlighted by the moon so decided to have him sitting on a wall, made using a brickwork stencil, and then stamped Mooch on top.

The final stage was framing the scene which I did with Dandelion and Thistle silhouette stamps, also from Lavinia.  I then used the Feather Leaf stencil to add a little texture to the sky area.  To finish, I added some glitter around the moon and some stars and added some black Nuvo drops onto the silhouettes for subtle reflection from the moon.

To finish the card, I used an 8” x 8” card base and added a black mat to both my topper and the decorative layer beneath.  This was just a piece of white card that I blended the same purple and pink Oxide inks onto and then added the Feather Leaf stencil to coordinate with the topper.

The other thing I made for my sister was a cat themed cake.  I saw this idea on Facebook ages ago and though I know just the person I can make that for.  It made everyone laugh and nobody refused a slice, despite the subject matter!

Dreamy Dandelions

I’ve not been well for the past 6 weeks or so and as a result, my creative mojo has disappeared.   When I’m empty of ideas, I use other crafters on YouTube to inspire me.  These cards were inspired by Jo Rice’s tutorial for Lavinia Stamps – a recent, new find for me; they have some beautiful stamping goodies!

To begin, I stamped the dandelions around two diagonally opposite corners in black ink.  I used Versafine Clair in Nocturne for the first time and I love the intense black of this ink.

Next, I added a touch of colour by stencilling gently with some pale blue ink.

To finish, I added a sentiment and heat embossed with some clear powder.  I also added a few tiny dots of glue onto the dandelions and sprinkled on some glitter, although you can’t really see this on the photo.

I’ve also been trying out Distress Oxide inks so for my second card, I did the stencilling first as using Oxide ink over stamps, the ink sits on top as it’s quite opaque.

Stamping over Distress Oxides also produces strange results as the Oxide ink reacts with the moisture in the black ink.  I’m still learning the best ways to use the Oxide inks but I do love their soft, chalky finish.  The sentiment on this is a great one from Inkylicious.

I had intended my second card to be a slimline (DL) card but I dropped the inked stamp on one end so had to chop it down and mat and layer it to a C6 size instead.

Meow Wiper

This week’s card is inspired by a card made by Therese Calvird from www.lostinpaper.com – I really loved the repeat stamping of the kitties!  To make the card my own, I wanted to make the upside-down kitty into a wiper element on a Z-fold wiper card.

First, I repeat stamped the kitty by using masks to protect the lower line of cats.  I used MFT’s I Knead You stamp set.

Next, I adhered these panels onto my card base, which is 3” longer than my standard card front and scored at 1½” and 3” from one end.  The Z-fold section is 1¾” wide and the same length as the base and scored in the same places.  The extra panels were decorated using the Meow stencil from Newton’s Nook.

The wiper element was next.  I coloured one of the kitties in greys (like my tabby cats) and cut out a small rectangle for the wiper mechanism.

Now, I watched many YouTube videos to try to get my head around the wiper mechanism!  This way seemed the easiest.  I glued the Z-fold card together and then made a 45˚ score line at one end of the wiper mechanism, folding it back and forth a few times to loosen it up.   After putting glue only onto the underside of the triangle, I held the piece underneath the Z-fold with the point up the the fold line (it’s shown in the collect position but on the top in the photo) and then folded the card flat so that the triangle was glued to the side of the Z-fold.

The next job was to attach the wiper element.  I attached it with Blue-Tack to begin so I could check the position and ensure that it would be covered by the front when the card is closed.

Finally, I stamped a piece for the back of the card, decorated the envelope and added a sentiment onto the front.

Here’s the card when it’s closed…

And when it’s opened…

Here’s the card in action.

I love a fancy fold but a kinetic fun fold is even better!