Having bought the Snowflake Splendour DSP, I thought I’d better make an effort to use it! The pack handily gives the coordinating colours so it’s easy to choose a colour scheme for your project. I used Balmy Blue and Highland Heather as I like to try some non-traditional Christmas colour schemes for a bit of a change.
First, I die cut a circle of Balmy Blue glimmer paper and Whisper White card. I then cut the snowflake into the glimmer paper using the large snowflake die from So Many Snowflakes and glued this on top of the white circle.
The background was cut from a sheet of the DSP and adhered to the card base.
I use the stamps from Snowflake Wishes to decorate the card liner and envelope and for my greeting.
The last job was to assemble the card, adhering the snowflake element to the top. I could have popped it up on foam dimensionals but left it flat for easier posting.
For my second card, I used Highland Heather and a retired glimmer paper which goes really well with the colours in the Snowflake Splendour DSP.
Sometimes, a jaunty angle can really add a new dimension to a project. When I first tried this card, I cut it straight across and it looked… well… distinctly average. However, make a diagonal cut and the whole thing is transformed. I give you three options, depending how much work you want to put in!
To begin, I stamped the greeting from Stampin’ Up! Snowflake Wishes on the bottom of my card front, just so I had an idea of how much to chop off. I found a nice angle if I lined up the bottom right corner with the top of the grid section on my trimmer and the top right corner against the stop rail. This also allowed me to repeat the cards at more or less the same angle.
The top section was embossed using the Winter Snow folder and I covered the join with a ¼” strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper, trimming the ends flush with the white panel.
The whole panel was mounted onto a Balmy Blue layer and then onto a white card base.
For an easier option, I cut a piece of Snowflake Splendour DSP about 5” long and a piece of Whisper White about 1½”, placed the white piece on the right side of the patterned paper and cut both together at the same angle.
I flipped over the white piece and stamped the sentiment, then covered the join with the strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper. By cutting the two pieces together, the pieces should have the same angle and match up. Hopefully! The piece was trimmed to size and mounted like the previous card.
The last option is a bit more work. I embossed the white piece with the Subtle folder and cut out a selection of snowflakes using the So Many Snowflakes dies. Tip: applying a sheet of adhesive to the glimmer paper before die cutting the snowflakes makes the next step much easier. Guess who didn’t remember to do that! These snowflakes were stuck onto the embossed piece and any overhanging bits were trimmed off.
One of the dies in the So Many Snowflakes cuts out a stitched window, which is crying out to be made into a shaker card! To make the scene through the window, I used the Snow Front stamp set.
The first job was to cut out the window. I eyeballed the position of the die to get it more or less in the centre.
As my cutting plates are somewhat manky, the card was marked a little so I ran it through the Winter Snow embossing folder to disguise the marks. Remember to stamp the sentiment before embossing!
Next, I stamped my scene onto a smaller piece of card. I drew around the die lightly to help with positioning my scene and erased the pencil marks afterwards. Although the scene is navy in this picture, I changed my mind and did another in Basic Grey – to avoid any confusion in the later photos!
To make the shaker element, I glued a piece of acetate onto the back of the window and then applied foam strips around the window. It’s important that the strips meet up snuggly to prevent the sequins or glitter escaping! I added another layer of foam around the edge of the card ready for mounting onto the card. Lastly, I removed the backing paper, added the sequins into the window area and positioned the scene, pressing down well.
The shaker was mounted on a Basic Grey layer and then onto a Smoky Slate card base.
In case you can’t be bothered with making a shaker card, the idea works equally well without as just a simple 3D window card.