Papa Bear

Today is Father’s Day in the UK so I’m sharing my cards that I made for my Dad and Father-in-Law.  I wanted to use the cute bear from the stamp set ‘Happy Day’ from the Colorado Craft Company – I thought it’d be a great focal image for a masculine card.

First, I stamped the bears using Versafine black ink, which is waterproof once it’s dry, and then water-coloured them.  One was a hairy bear, the other a more smooth coated bear!  I cut them down into slim panels.

Next was my mat layer and background for my bear panels.  I used Stampin’ Up! Snow Front and Waterfront stamp sets to create the mountain and forest backgrounds.  Whilst these are a different illustrative style to the bear, they fit nicely with the bear’s habitat.

For my sentiment, I used Lawn Fawn’s Happy Happy Happy, heat embossed with copper powder.  I triple stacked the ‘happy’ die cuts for a little extra dimension.

Here are my final cards.  I stamped the card liner and envelope with the tree stamp and added a gold rhinestone onto the centre on the flower.

Happy Hearts

I love making cards for a special occasion so when Mr L requested a card for his friend who had just got engaged, I went straight to work.  Hearts are perfect for engagement and anniversary cards so I used the Stampin’ Up Detailed Hearts Die (now retired), which is great for 2 for 1 cards as you can use the frame on one card and the hearts on another!

To begin, I added a sheet of Stick-It adhesive to the pink card and cut two using the die.  The adhesive makes it much easier to stick down thin die-cuts like this but before doing so, I glued one on top of the other to give a stacked look.

Next, I adhered this onto the card base and inlaid some white hearts (left over from a previous use of this die!) to give a pop.  I also stamped the sentiment.

As there were a LOT of self-adhesive hearts created by the two die-cuts, I used some for the card liner and envelope.

For the final assembly, I popped the sentiment up on foam squares and added a few pearl accents for understated bling – can bling be understated??!

With the plethora of pink hearts, I used the frame to stick these in place on another card base.  I could have not used the frame since I filled in some gaps later anyway.  I added a few white and grey hearts for added interest.

Once I took away the frame, there were a few gaps so I added a few hearts popped up on foam tape.

The final touches were a silver heat embossed sentiment and some rhinestones for a modern anniversary card.

Twist ‘n’ Pop

I’ve been binge watching fancy fold card videos on YouTube lately.  A fancy fold definitely adds a bit of WOW! to a card.  They usually take a little longer to make but are worth the effort.  This card was made using Sam Calcott’s (of Mixed Up Craft fame) tutorial.  Her instructions are really clear and easy to follow.

My theme for this week’s card was a 60th birthday for my friend.  She’s a fun, bubbly and stylish lady so I wanted the same kind of feel for her card.  

To begin, I wanted a black and white striped background.  I only had skinny striped paper so I drew some deliberately wonky lines with my black marker pen and coloured them in, several times, to give a rich black colour.

Next, using my Cricut, I cut my sentiment from black and gold vinyl and stuck it onto the panel.  I added some gold dots in the corners where I would later add the decorative elements.

For the decorative elements, I used Stampin’ Up! Dressed To Impress stamps.  I added a layer of Glossy Accents to the perfume bottle to resemble glass.

Now for the inside.  First, I added some decorative panels to the card base.

Then it was time for the mechanism.  It looks really complicated and would be tricky to explain on paper (screen?!) but Sam explains it really well in her video so I urge you to watch that.  I couldn’t decide what to put on the 4 panels inside until I realised that BIRTHDAY has 8 letters!  There wasn’t room for ‘Happy’ so I added in some small panels to the top of the 1st panel and bottom of the 4th panel for the ‘Happy’ and ‘Katie’ to personalise the card.  I trialled about 4 small panels until I got ones that were the right size and didn’t drag on card as it opened and closed.

The final job was to glue the front panel into the card base and add some gold-coloured gems for extra pizzazz.

This was such a fun card to make and I think it definitely has the WOW! factor I was after. Here’s a short clip of my card in action.