Giraffe Birthday Shaker

This card was for my friend who had recently painted a giraffe at her art class.  I’m not capable of drawing a giraffe but it was a good excuse to dig out a stamp set that I’ve not used for a while, Party Animal by W Plus 9.

To form the layers for the card, I die cut some stacking rectangles using Waffle Flower’s Lacy Layers Dies.  Since I wanted a shaker element to the card, I die cut the balloon using the dies that match the stamp set.

The balloon was stamped on the background piece and I added a sentiment from one of the Anita Jeram sets.  I inked around the edge of the balloon to try to give some illusion of 3D form but once the sequins are in, this isn’t obvious so I’d probably skip this step next time.

On the top layer, I stamped one of the giraffes and coloured him with Copic markers.  Using a fine liner, I added a few grassy patches and a string to the balloon tied to the giraffe’s tail.

Rather than use foam strips to form the shaker window, I cut a whole panel from fun foam and cut out the balloon.  This gives a lot more support to the rest of the front panel too.

After adhering a piece of acetate behind the balloon hole on the front panel, I glued the foam onto the back of it.  I then placed a few sequins and a little glitter onto the centre of the balloon, out the way of the edges so they didn’t interfere with the glue, and stuck the front panel on top.  I stamped the other giraffe in the set on the inside of the card and the envelope.

Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

Coffee or Cocktails?

Mr L gave me the idea for this week’s card where sometimes, a coffee just won’t cut it! In the Nothing’s Better Than stamp set, there are lots of fun little phrases to pair with the main words but none that quite say this.  I first tried doing small lettering like the stamps but the big, bold lettering worked better for the feel of the card.

I used the Love You More Than dies and wanted my focal words to stand out on a background.  For the words, I blended Misty Moonlight/Smoky Slate and So Saffron/Rococo Rose onto two pieces of white card. For the black backgrounds, I drew around the outside of the die and fussy cut.

The black halo really helps the words have drama!

Next, using my grid paper, I experimented with wording layouts and styles, eventually choosing a plain, bold style.  I transferred this onto vellum before transferring onto the card using my light box.

To finish, I stamped the coffee cup and cocktail glass, colouring with the same inks and die cutting, then adhering to the card.  The words were raised on foam adhesive.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!