Having bought the Snowflake Splendour DSP, I thought I’d better make an effort to use it! The pack handily gives the coordinating colours so it’s easy to choose a colour scheme for your project. I used Balmy Blue and Highland Heather as I like to try some non-traditional Christmas colour schemes for a bit of a change.
First, I die cut a circle of Balmy Blue glimmer paper and Whisper White card. I then cut the snowflake into the glimmer paper using the large snowflake die from So Many Snowflakes and glued this on top of the white circle.
The background was cut from a sheet of the DSP and adhered to the card base.
I use the stamps from Snowflake Wishes to decorate the card liner and envelope and for my greeting.
The last job was to assemble the card, adhering the snowflake element to the top. I could have popped it up on foam dimensionals but left it flat for easier posting.
For my second card, I used Highland Heather and a retired glimmer paper which goes really well with the colours in the Snowflake Splendour DSP.
Sometimes, a jaunty angle can really add a new dimension to a project. When I first tried this card, I cut it straight across and it looked… well… distinctly average. However, make a diagonal cut and the whole thing is transformed. I give you three options, depending how much work you want to put in!
To begin, I stamped the greeting from Stampin’ Up! Snowflake Wishes on the bottom of my card front, just so I had an idea of how much to chop off. I found a nice angle if I lined up the bottom right corner with the top of the grid section on my trimmer and the top right corner against the stop rail. This also allowed me to repeat the cards at more or less the same angle.
The top section was embossed using the Winter Snow folder and I covered the join with a ¼” strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper, trimming the ends flush with the white panel.
The whole panel was mounted onto a Balmy Blue layer and then onto a white card base.
For an easier option, I cut a piece of Snowflake Splendour DSP about 5” long and a piece of Whisper White about 1½”, placed the white piece on the right side of the patterned paper and cut both together at the same angle.
I flipped over the white piece and stamped the sentiment, then covered the join with the strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper. By cutting the two pieces together, the pieces should have the same angle and match up. Hopefully! The piece was trimmed to size and mounted like the previous card.
The last option is a bit more work. I embossed the white piece with the Subtle folder and cut out a selection of snowflakes using the So Many Snowflakes dies. Tip: applying a sheet of adhesive to the glimmer paper before die cutting the snowflakes makes the next step much easier. Guess who didn’t remember to do that! These snowflakes were stuck onto the embossed piece and any overhanging bits were trimmed off.
I saw this card style on a YouTube video by Scrimpingmommy and thought it’d be fun to try. As it transpired, I got completely carried away with it and made 4 bases ready for decorating! I used Stampin’ Up! Perfectly Plaid, Stitched Stars and Brightly Gleaming for my decorative elements. Although I’ve made Christmas cards, this style of card can be used for any occasion.
My card bases are 5¾” x 8¼”, a little less than half a sheet of cardstock, and scored at 4⅛”. For this card, the front needs to be cut into three so I cut mine equally at 1⅜”. For the window section, I cut a piece of acetate 1¾” wide by a smidge under 5¾”. I discarded the centre portion and applied thin adhesive tape to the top and bottom edges of the acetate.
Next, I cut some layers from card and DSP to decorate the top and bottom panels of the card.
The easiest way to line up the acetate panel is to clip the bottom section to the card base, line up the acetate with the edges of the card and overlapping the bottom section.
Holding the acetate in position, I removed the backing paper from the adhesive and folded the top section of the card down into place. I then removed the clips and stuck the bottom section into position. That completed the floating window card base. Once you’ve got your card ‘recipe’ sorted, you can knock these out in record time!
I decorated the liner with the same card and DSP.
Now for the decorative elements. I only applied glue to the sections that would be on the card so that a gluey mess wouldn’t be visible through the acetate. Firstly, Brightly Gleaming ornaments with copper embossing powder.
Next was the Stitched Stars using Copper Foil paper.
Snowflake Splendour DSP with silver heat embossed trees from Perfectly Plaid.
Lastly, my favourite, Brightly Gleaming DSP with copper heat embossed trees.
I hope you give these a try. They’re really fun to make and look stunning!