Like me, my sister is a big fan of cats so, when it came to making a card for her birthday, it called for another outing for Mooch (Lavinia stamps). I’d recently bought a gel press plate for making backgrounds using mixed media so this was a first outing for that – and for me using it!
To begin, I brayered some Distress Oxide inks in Weathered Wood and Duck Egg onto the gel plate, spritzed with a little water, then pressed my card onto the plate. This would colour the moon. Next, I applied a selection of pink and purple Oxides onto the gel plate, added an acetate circle to mask the area for the moon, spritzed with water again and then pressed the card onto the plate.
I wanted the cat to be highlighted by the moon so decided to have him sitting on a wall, made using a brickwork stencil, and then stamped Mooch on top.
The final stage was framing the scene which I did with Dandelion and Thistle silhouette stamps, also from Lavinia. I then used the Feather Leaf stencil to add a little texture to the sky area. To finish, I added some glitter around the moon and some stars and added some black Nuvo drops onto the silhouettes for subtle reflection from the moon.
To finish the card, I used an 8” x 8” card base and added a black mat to both my topper and the decorative layer beneath. This was just a piece of white card that I blended the same purple and pink Oxide inks onto and then added the Feather Leaf stencil to coordinate with the topper.
The other thing I made for my sister was a cat themed cake. I saw this idea on Facebook ages ago and though I know just the person I can make that for. It made everyone laugh and nobody refused a slice, despite the subject matter!
For my cards this week, I used the top half of the Stampin’ Up! Banner Blooms die to create a silhouette style card.
Whilst it’s possible to make this card using plain card, I wanted to add some dimension to mine so blended some inks onto my Bermuda Bay panel and then spritzed with some Frost White Shimmer Paint for a bit of shine.
Next, I die-cut the banner blooms from Whisper White card together with my sentiment from the Well Written dies set and glued them in place, cutting off any excess from the banner die.
Since I had used Night of Navy ink, I used a navy mat layer and mounted on a white card base to tie all the elements together and finished with a few navy gemstones.
For my second card, I wanted to try a warmer colour palette and used Crushed Curry as a base and used black card for my blooms and sentiment. Again, I added a few rhinestones for a bit of bling.
I do love a silhouette! Trees, plants, buildings, birds, people to name but a few – they all make great silhouettes that are super to use for card making. Create a background by using your preferred method – sponging, brayering, watercolour, stamping, embossing – and put your silhouette over the top. When I spotted the Friendly Silhouette Dies in the new Stampin’ Up! annual catalogue, they were immediately put on my wish list. I mistakenly thought that there were 3 silhouette border dies in the set, and there are – sort of! More on that later though.
For two of my cards, I sponged a sunrise and a sunset. What I like about inking sky backgrounds is that you can’t actually go wrong! For example, if you look at a sunset there are so many colours, shapes and patterns, many of which you’d think were unrealistic if you saw them in a painting but there they are in real life. That’s one of the beauties of nature, it’s sheer randomness!
I began by sticking post-it notes along the card to make the horizon (1). Then I decided whether or not to have a sun. I had a sun in these so punched a circular mask from a post-it note and used both the negative (1) and positive pieces (3) at different stages. After I’d sponged the sun, I removed the negative mask (2) and then placed the sun mask over the sun (3) whilst I sponged the sky. I used Crushed Curry, Rococo Rose and Seaside Spray for my sunrise sky. I removed the masks and then coloured below the horizon using a Basic Black marker (4).
I cut out the floral border from Basic Black card and simply glued the border over the sunrise. At this stage, I didn’t like the black horizon I’d drawn in so I just covered it up with the border die.
For the second card, I used an ink ‘smooshing’ technique. I got my largest block and pressed my Blackberry Bliss ink pad directly onto the bottom third of the block, transferring plenty of ink. I repeated this with Bermuda Bay on the top third of the block. For the bit in between, I applied Night of Navy using sponge daubers.
Once the block was covered, I spritzed it with plenty of water and then placed the card onto the block, pressed well, then removed and left to dry. The great thing about these types of background is that they are fun to make and are completely unique!
The bull rush border (my favourite!) was used for this card and I cut out an additional border from vellum and stuck it behind the black card, offset slightly to give some extra visual interest.
So that bring us to the last die. Now I thought that this was a palm tree border so image my horror when this is what was left when I’d cut out my border! I even contacted demo support to check that the thing wasn’t faulty!!
Anyway, another demonstrator in Amanda’s team guessed (correctly) that it is designed so that you use the negative space instead of the cut out. So, you ink up your background scene, then cut out the trees and put your background on top of a black card base to give you the silhouetted look. Now call me picky but I think a background should be, well…you know, in the background and the thing that’s making the silhouette should be in the foreground. Maybe I’m thinking about this too scientifically! Anyhow, this is how it looks behind my inked sunset.
I’ve left all my cards without sentiments so I can use them for whatever occasion demands in the future.