Giraffe Birthday Shaker

This card was for my friend who had recently painted a giraffe at her art class.  I’m not capable of drawing a giraffe but it was a good excuse to dig out a stamp set that I’ve not used for a while, Party Animal by W Plus 9.

To form the layers for the card, I die cut some stacking rectangles using Waffle Flower’s Lacy Layers Dies.  Since I wanted a shaker element to the card, I die cut the balloon using the dies that match the stamp set.

The balloon was stamped on the background piece and I added a sentiment from one of the Anita Jeram sets.  I inked around the edge of the balloon to try to give some illusion of 3D form but once the sequins are in, this isn’t obvious so I’d probably skip this step next time.

On the top layer, I stamped one of the giraffes and coloured him with Copic markers.  Using a fine liner, I added a few grassy patches and a string to the balloon tied to the giraffe’s tail.

Rather than use foam strips to form the shaker window, I cut a whole panel from fun foam and cut out the balloon.  This gives a lot more support to the rest of the front panel too.

After adhering a piece of acetate behind the balloon hole on the front panel, I glued the foam onto the back of it.  I then placed a few sequins and a little glitter onto the centre of the balloon, out the way of the edges so they didn’t interfere with the glue, and stuck the front panel on top.  I stamped the other giraffe in the set on the inside of the card and the envelope.

Snowflake Shaker

One of the dies in the So Many Snowflakes cuts out a stitched window, which is crying out to be made into a shaker card!  To make the scene through the window, I used the Snow Front stamp set.

The first job was to cut out the window.  I eyeballed the position of the die to get it more or less in the centre.

As my cutting plates are somewhat manky, the card was marked a little so I ran it through the Winter Snow embossing folder to disguise the marks.  Remember to stamp the sentiment before embossing!

Next, I stamped my scene onto a smaller piece of card.  I drew around the die lightly to help with positioning my scene and erased the pencil marks afterwards.  Although the scene is navy in this picture, I changed my mind and did another in Basic Grey – to avoid any confusion in the later photos!

To make the shaker element, I glued a piece of acetate onto the back of the window and then applied foam strips around the window.  It’s important that the strips meet up snuggly to prevent the sequins or glitter escaping!  I added another layer of foam around the edge of the card ready for mounting onto the card.  Lastly, I removed the backing paper, added the sequins into the window area and positioned the scene, pressing down well.

The shaker was mounted on a Basic Grey layer and then onto a Smoky Slate card base.

In case you can’t be bothered with making a shaker card, the idea works equally well without as just a simple 3D window card.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!