Giraffe Birthday Shaker

This card was for my friend who had recently painted a giraffe at her art class.  I’m not capable of drawing a giraffe but it was a good excuse to dig out a stamp set that I’ve not used for a while, Party Animal by W Plus 9.

To form the layers for the card, I die cut some stacking rectangles using Waffle Flower’s Lacy Layers Dies.  Since I wanted a shaker element to the card, I die cut the balloon using the dies that match the stamp set.

The balloon was stamped on the background piece and I added a sentiment from one of the Anita Jeram sets.  I inked around the edge of the balloon to try to give some illusion of 3D form but once the sequins are in, this isn’t obvious so I’d probably skip this step next time.

On the top layer, I stamped one of the giraffes and coloured him with Copic markers.  Using a fine liner, I added a few grassy patches and a string to the balloon tied to the giraffe’s tail.

Rather than use foam strips to form the shaker window, I cut a whole panel from fun foam and cut out the balloon.  This gives a lot more support to the rest of the front panel too.

After adhering a piece of acetate behind the balloon hole on the front panel, I glued the foam onto the back of it.  I then placed a few sequins and a little glitter onto the centre of the balloon, out the way of the edges so they didn’t interfere with the glue, and stuck the front panel on top.  I stamped the other giraffe in the set on the inside of the card and the envelope.

Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

Happily Ever After

It’s funny isn’t it, we haven’t been to a wedding for years and then get two within a few months.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t well enough to attend this one but I did get to try out a new card idea.

This Happily Ever After stamp by Anita Jeram is very detailed.  It’s great if you love colouring however, I wanted to try it out using minimal colouring.  First, I heat embossed the stamp using white powder onto vellum.

I coloured the back of the bunting with my Copic markers and also stamped and coloured the bride and groom mice onto Neenah Solar White card (my favourite for Copic colouring), cutting them out with the coordinating die.

After adding some decorative die cutting on top and bottom, the panel was glued to the card base.  The difficulty with vellum is that glue shows through.  I added plenty of glue under the bride and groom and a tiny dot into all four corners that could be covered with an embellishment.

As I hadn’t added a sentiment to the front, I did more stamping on the inside panel.   The images were stamped using 2nd generation inks so that they can be written over.  The sentiments were stamped in Blackberry Bliss ink to match the mat layer.

The final stage was to mount the panel onto a white card base and add some embellishments.  The bride and groom were glued in place and I used some enamel hearts to cover the glue dots in the corners.  Rhinestones and tiny sequins were also glued on for added sparkle.