Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

Snowflake Shaker

One of the dies in the So Many Snowflakes cuts out a stitched window, which is crying out to be made into a shaker card!  To make the scene through the window, I used the Snow Front stamp set.

The first job was to cut out the window.  I eyeballed the position of the die to get it more or less in the centre.

As my cutting plates are somewhat manky, the card was marked a little so I ran it through the Winter Snow embossing folder to disguise the marks.  Remember to stamp the sentiment before embossing!

Next, I stamped my scene onto a smaller piece of card.  I drew around the die lightly to help with positioning my scene and erased the pencil marks afterwards.  Although the scene is navy in this picture, I changed my mind and did another in Basic Grey – to avoid any confusion in the later photos!

To make the shaker element, I glued a piece of acetate onto the back of the window and then applied foam strips around the window.  It’s important that the strips meet up snuggly to prevent the sequins or glitter escaping!  I added another layer of foam around the edge of the card ready for mounting onto the card.  Lastly, I removed the backing paper, added the sequins into the window area and positioned the scene, pressing down well.

The shaker was mounted on a Basic Grey layer and then onto a Smoky Slate card base.

In case you can’t be bothered with making a shaker card, the idea works equally well without as just a simple 3D window card.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

 

A Week of Firsts

Here we are at the end of the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and it’s presented me with a few firsts.  My first new experience was to cut Mr L’s hair! Now, I’ve never cut anyone’s hair before but I’ve watched our hairdresser cut Mr L’s hair many times.  She makes it look so easy.  It isn’t!  It took me a while but we got there in the end and Mr L still has both ears!

#covidhaircut

My second ‘first’ was to attempt to make naan breads.  I’d made my favourite dhal recipe when I noticed a naan bread recipe in the same book and, since we had all the ingredients, I though I’d have a bash.  They were not quite like the restaurant ones but were delicious nonetheless.

My third ‘first’ was an introduction to a technique called Inlaid Embossing.  Amanda (from Inspiring Inkin’) showed this on her Facebook crafting group this week and it looked interesting.

To begin, I used the ½”, ¾” and 1” circle punches to cut a mix of circles in 3 coordinating colours.

These were glued randomly onto my mat layer and any overhanging edges trimmed off.

I then put the pieces into embossing folders and ran them through the Big Shot to create a textured background.

I didn’t want to overwhelm the background as that was the main feature so I used some polka dot ribbon and a butterfly from Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala.

My second card featured burlap ribbon and a tree from Rooted in Nature.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!