Coffee or Cocktails?

Mr L gave me the idea for this week’s card where sometimes, a coffee just won’t cut it! In the Nothing’s Better Than stamp set, there are lots of fun little phrases to pair with the main words but none that quite say this.  I first tried doing small lettering like the stamps but the big, bold lettering worked better for the feel of the card.

I used the Love You More Than dies and wanted my focal words to stand out on a background.  For the words, I blended Misty Moonlight/Smoky Slate and So Saffron/Rococo Rose onto two pieces of white card. For the black backgrounds, I drew around the outside of the die and fussy cut.

The black halo really helps the words have drama!

Next, using my grid paper, I experimented with wording layouts and styles, eventually choosing a plain, bold style.  I transferred this onto vellum before transferring onto the card using my light box.

To finish, I stamped the coffee cup and cocktail glass, colouring with the same inks and die cutting, then adhering to the card.  The words were raised on foam adhesive.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

In The Spotlight

Sometimes you don’t need the whole picture presented to you, just snippets in spotlights.  That was my inspiration for my card this week anyway.  I like the Stampin’ Up! Field of Flowers for silhouette images but I’m not keen on the coloured version so I thought I’d play around with it to see how I could use the coloured stamps on a card using the spotlight technique.

I began by stamping the leaves in Mint Macaron and the flowers in Rococo Rose, Highland Heather and So Saffron together with a few dragonflies in Smoky Slate.  Then I used various punches to cut circles to make my spotlights.

Next, I made my background by stamping the sentiment and ink blending a few circles using my sponge daubers and my homemade circle mask.

For the liner and envelope, I punched a circle from a post-it note and stamped the images into the hole so that the image would have a circular shape to mirror the spotlights on the fronts.

Lastly, I assembled the card, gluing some spotlights directly onto the card front and raising some up on foam dimensionals, and adding a few rhinestones.

I’m really happy with the results of my experiment!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Baby Bear

I loved making this week’s card for our friend that had her first baby recently.  I don’t have a lot of use for stamps aimed at making children’s cards but I bought the Baby Bear set as you’re never too old for a teddy bear!  This is a retired stamp set but I’ve kept mine as I really like that bear and how he comes to life with the three layers of ink.  I’ve also got a couple of handy tips on repeat stamping and extending the use of dies.

This was a bigger card than usual as I wanted it to be a square Z-fold card.  I fancied a gingham style background but didn’t have anything in my stash that was pink so used the Buffalo Check background stamp and some Rococo Rose ink.  The stamp was a little small for my background so I used the Stamparatus to do some repeat stamping.  I first stamped the check background and marked an arrow on my grid paper where the edge of the stamp came to.  Next, I moved the card so that the left-hand edge of the stamped image lined up with the arrow (1) and then stamped again (2).   This then gave me a bigger stamped image to centre my cut out.

Next, I stamped the three bear images in 1. Sahara Sand, 2. Crumb Cake and 3. Early Espresso.

To add a bit of extra dimension to him, I applied some fine-tipped glue to his nose and eyes and set aside to dry.  This gave his eyes and nose a shiny finish.

I used the sentiments from the set and a stitched rectangle die.  This worked fine for the first sentiment but was too short for the second.  However, a way to get more from your dies is to only partially cut the die by lining up the top cutting plate before the end of the die.  The Big Shot won’t cut where there’s no top plate leaving a partially cut shape.  Then simply move the die to the end of the sentiment and repeat the process on the other end of the die.

I mounted the pieces on a Rococo Rose base layer, the gingham layer and the bear on top, adorned with a pink bow.

The inside was layered the same way.  Here’s the bird’s eye view of the finished Z-fold.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!