Happily Ever After

It’s funny isn’t it, we haven’t been to a wedding for years and then get two within a few months.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t well enough to attend this one but I did get to try out a new card idea.

This Happily Ever After stamp by Anita Jeram is very detailed.  It’s great if you love colouring however, I wanted to try it out using minimal colouring.  First, I heat embossed the stamp using white powder onto vellum.

I coloured the back of the bunting with my Copic markers and also stamped and coloured the bride and groom mice onto Neenah Solar White card (my favourite for Copic colouring), cutting them out with the coordinating die.

After adding some decorative die cutting on top and bottom, the panel was glued to the card base.  The difficulty with vellum is that glue shows through.  I added plenty of glue under the bride and groom and a tiny dot into all four corners that could be covered with an embellishment.

As I hadn’t added a sentiment to the front, I did more stamping on the inside panel.   The images were stamped using 2nd generation inks so that they can be written over.  The sentiments were stamped in Blackberry Bliss ink to match the mat layer.

The final stage was to mount the panel onto a white card base and add some embellishments.  The bride and groom were glued in place and I used some enamel hearts to cover the glue dots in the corners.  Rhinestones and tiny sequins were also glued on for added sparkle.

Rolled Roses

My cards this week use Altenew Rolled Roses dies and are a two for one: the roses I die cut for the first card gave me left overs that I used to create a second.

To begin, I adhered a sheet of adhesive to the back of some cream, red and green card before die-cutting several of the roses and leaves.  I wanted to use the outside frame of the cream and inlay with the coloured cards.

After infilling the roses, I realised that I could use the coloured frames to create another card.  I used coloured roses and leaves to be the focus images but added cream frames to fill the gaps.

For the inside, I used an offcut and stamped the envelope with a cute little Anita Jeram stamp I got free from Seven Hills Crafts with a recent purchase.

To finish, I heat embossed some gold dots on the panel.  The sentiment was also heat embossed in gold and mounted on a piece of gold card.

The second card was finished with some gold coloured rhinestones and a sentiment.

A Cricut Challenge

I bought this Nordic ornament stamp last week and I’ve been trying to think of the best way to present it.  It’s about 5¼” across and I don’t have any dies that big.  Also, I wanted it to have the hanger part on the top too so a straight circle die wouldn’t work.  This seemed like a perfect job for the Cricut.

To begin, I stamped the hanger and bow and scanned it in to my computer.  I imported it into Inkscape using a great tutorial from TroyTube on YouTube and then added an offset (the red part) to give me my basic cut-out shape.  I played around with the shape a bit to remove the holes to make the cut-out section sturdier.

Next, I uploaded the finished shape into Cricut Design Space and scaled it to fit the stamped image.  I made the basic card shape by making a circle 5½” diameter and welding the ornament hanger onto the top.  I also sliced a smidge off the bottom so that the card would stand up.  The shape was duplicated and flipped horizontally so that it would be a mirror image and then overlapped the first circle a small amount to give a place for the fold.  A test cut revealed not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

My first card was for a swap in a Facebook group.  I stamped the image in Versamark and heat embossed in white before blending pink, purple and blue inks over.  The embossing resists the ink but gives texture with a lovely blended background.  Lastly, I added some rhinestones on the centre of the snowflakes and a small sentiment.  And a decorated envelope, of course!

I tried the stamp out on other coloured cards to see if it was as effective.  It gave good results whether it was heat embossed or just stamped, although a stamp positioner does help as it’s tricky to get all sections of big stamps to stamp well first time.

White embossing powder on Real Red and gold embossing powder on Shaded Spruce
White embossing powder on Sahara Sand and silver ink on Blackberry Bliss

I hate waste so try to salvage anything that hasn’t gone to plan.  Tags to the rescue!