The idea for this card came from seeing one of those Christmas tree ornaments made from baubles. It got me thinking how I could make one using circles. Here’s the result! I think this would be a fun card to make with children.
I began by drawing a triangular tree shape on my card top layer. I used a tree stamp but any rough triangular shape will do. Then, after dry embossing a selection of card in Shaded Spruce, Real Red and gold foil, I punched circles of various sizes. If you wanted to use die cut circles, you’d have to cut first then emboss.
The circles were roughly arranged in the tree shape. To help me remember the placement for gluing, I took a quick shot of the layout and then removed the circles to erase the triangle.
I glued all the circles in place, stamped and heat embossed my greeting, mounting it on a layer of Shaded Spruce and a length of Real Red ribbon. To finish, I added a die cut star to the top on foam tape and rhinestones into some of the gaps to resemble fairy lights.
We share our home with two rescue cats, one is very playful, the other is quite lazy. Monty likes to sit in a shady spot and watch the world go by, occasionally coming over for a quick head rub. Leia, on the other hand, goes everywhere at break-neck speed and is a prolific hunter. During one of her recent outings, she came back with her eye closed and we could see what looked like a thick hair protruding from her eye but couldn’t get it out, so off we went to the out-of-hours emergency vet. Now, Leia does not travel well! During the 25-minute journey in her crate, she had a wee, a poo, was sick and then had copious amounts of drool hanging down each side of her face. We presented her, in the socially distanced handover in the vet’s car park, with a description of the emergency and an embarrassed apology for the state of the cat/crate! I’m sure they’ve seen it all before….
Anyway, 45 mins later, a rather quiet Leia was given back to us together with this massive grass seed that the vet had taken out of her eye. OUCH!
Thankfully, Leia is now fully recovered and back to zooming everywhere at high speed again.
I wanted a cat-themed card for my friend who runs a cat rescue charity (link below) so I used Pampered Pets, a new set in the Stampin’ Up! Annual catalogue that comes with matching dies and a suite of other coordinating goodies. I used the Playful Pets DSP for my project along with the Tailored Tag punch, cutting a bunch of different papers together with some stamped images, stamped on Basic Grey card using the Nine Lives stamps (retired).
I next set them out on my backing piece and then glued them in place.
I stamped one of the cat images and coloured him with alcohol markers before cutting out with the matching die. I attached him to a tag piece that I’d stamped with my greeting and then put dimensionals on the back.
To decorate the liner and envelope, I cut the paw prints from a scrap of card and used it as a stencil.
To bring the card together, I mounted the decorated panel onto a black mat layer and then onto a Real Red card base. I glued a length of the red trim around the front of the card and then put my kitty and greeting in place.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the work of The Cat Welfare Group, here’s a link to their new website.
At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.
To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut. It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice. After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.
Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals. Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.
The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.
I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.