At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.
To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut. It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice. After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.
Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals. Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.
The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.
I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.
This is a technique I was introduced to at the Stampin’ Up! team training last month. It uses outline stamps that you would usually colour in but patterned paper is used instead. It requires some fussy cutting but the finished look is really quite effective.
The demonstration used the Beautiful You stamp set which looked great but I don’t have that so I used the Tea Together set as it was the only suitable set I have that would work with the technique. I also used some blue Gingham Gala DSP and a Balmy Blue card base.
First, I stamped the cup image and then stamped it again on a Post-it Note to create a mask and fussy cut around the right-hand side of the image. This is because I wanted to create some perspective by stamping the teapot so that it looks like it’s placed behind the cup.
Once this was done, I stamped both images onto the gingham paper.
I decided which parts of the images I wanted to have the gingham pattern and fussy cut them (I later decided against the teapot lid).
All that was left to do was to glue the patterned paper into the appropriate positions and then mounted the piece onto the card base. I finished the card with some flower shaped sequins.
One of the main things that gets my goat about wrapping paper is that it’s not recyclable due to it being shiny. Therefore I thought I might try making some myself this year that could be recycled. I’ve made birthday wrapping paper for individual gifts using brown parcel paper but haven’t ever attempted Christmas wrapping paper. A roll of white easel paper was purchased, which was a real bargain at 20m for £5, I put on one of my favourite Christmas movies (Miracle on 34th Street) and set about making my wrapping paper using a selection of stamp sets and inks.
I did some designs in a repeating pattern format and others in a random scatter pattern depending on the stamp set.
I made some of the designs to coordinate with the tags from my previous posts.
Plus, it spurred me on to make a start on my wrapping too. Result!!