Quaint Quilling

Have you heard of quilling? It’s been around for hundreds of years and used to be the pastime of genteel ladies during the Georgian and Victorian times and was also practised by nuns and monks to decorate religious artefacts.  Modern papers and adhesives have changed the work produced but the techniques are based on old ideas.

My book showed some Charles Rennie Mackintosh style roses and they looked to be the easiest of the Closed Loose Coils, since they started with a fold rather than rolling.  I glued a strip of pale and dark pink together at the end and started the folding.

Once I’d got to the end, I released the tension and then glued the other ends in place to secure the rose shape.  I made several of these and some with darker pink strips.  The leaves were made using a different technique called Wheatear Coils.  As I haven’t done this before, I experimented with trying to make the leaves in different ways.  The flowers didn’t seem to sit well by themselves so I used some purple strips to make a vase type structure.

After the individual quilling was complete, I set to work on the arrangement and glued them in place after stamping the sentiment.  Three of the roses were glued on top of the arrangement to give a more 3D effect.

To finish, I added a few tiny heart embellishments and mounted on a green mat and pink card base to compliment the floral arrangment.

As usual, I made two cards, one each for the two mums in my life: my Mum and my Mum-in-Law. One of the best things about handmade cards is that no two are identical – they’re the same but different!

Fancy Fold Pop-Up Card

Triple cube pop-up cards are all over Pinterest at the moment but what struck me was why the top section isn’t taller.  I guess that would make the back section not a cube.  Or maybe two cubes? Who knows?! Anyway, this is my version – a tower cube pop-up card.  Despite the lengthy instructions, this card is quite simple but it is a bit time consuming.

Stage 1: Making the base card

To begin I cut out my bases, mats and DSP layers.  Mats are optional but if not using, cut the DSP in the mat sizes instead.

Base: 6” x 8¼” scored at 2”, 4”, 6” and 8” and two pieces 2” x 8¼” scored at 2”, 4”, 6” and 8” (I trimmed the corners of the ¼” flaps to make assembling neater)

Mats: eight 1¾” x 1¾”, two 1¾” x 3¾” and two 1¾” x 5¾”

DSP: six 1½” x 1½” pieces, two 1½” x 3½” pieces and two 1½” x 5½” pieces.

The fold lines on the bases were reinforced.  After gluing the layers together, I adhered them to the appropriate sections on the bases before assembling the cubes by gluing the ¼” flap to the opposite side.

DSP and mat layers, bases and placement of the mats. On the right, the base assembled.

I stamped my first sentiment and secured it so that it floats in the gap between the two cubes by first adhering two small strips to the centre of the cubes, then attaching the sentiment to the other half of those strips.

Stage 2: Making the centrepiece

The space available for the centrepiece is about 4” x 4” although a smidge over will still be OK but if it’s too big, it won’t fit in the envelope!  To help me gauge the size, I assembled it on my gridpaper.  Also, I was aware of not making it too dimensional (thick!) as the cubes would be folding in on top.

I die cut some stitched nested labels in Old Olive and copper foil paper and heat embossed my large sentiment in copper.  Using the Forever Fern dies, I cut various foliage from Old Olive, Pretty Peacock, copper foil paper and vellum.  On arranging them, I felt it needed some light so I punched out 3 flowers and gave them dimension using a ball tool and foam mat, first working the petals, the turning the flower over and working the centre

 I added a few green highlights in the centre using my Wink of Stella pen and some Old Olive ink before adding some Champagne rhinestone centres.

The centrepiece was layered up and glued in place and I cut another of the large labels from DSP to glue to the back to cover the stems and make it look neater as the back will be visible once the card is displayed.

The final job was to attach the centre piece in the same way as the smaller sentiment was attached earlier.

And here’s proof that it fits into a standard C2 envelope.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

A Week of Firsts

Here we are at the end of the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and it’s presented me with a few firsts.  My first new experience was to cut Mr L’s hair! Now, I’ve never cut anyone’s hair before but I’ve watched our hairdresser cut Mr L’s hair many times.  She makes it look so easy.  It isn’t!  It took me a while but we got there in the end and Mr L still has both ears!

#covidhaircut

My second ‘first’ was to attempt to make naan breads.  I’d made my favourite dhal recipe when I noticed a naan bread recipe in the same book and, since we had all the ingredients, I though I’d have a bash.  They were not quite like the restaurant ones but were delicious nonetheless.

My third ‘first’ was an introduction to a technique called Inlaid Embossing.  Amanda (from Inspiring Inkin’) showed this on her Facebook crafting group this week and it looked interesting.

To begin, I used the ½”, ¾” and 1” circle punches to cut a mix of circles in 3 coordinating colours.

These were glued randomly onto my mat layer and any overhanging edges trimmed off.

I then put the pieces into embossing folders and ran them through the Big Shot to create a textured background.

I didn’t want to overwhelm the background as that was the main feature so I used some polka dot ribbon and a butterfly from Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala.

My second card featured burlap ribbon and a tree from Rooted in Nature.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!