Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

In The Spotlight

Sometimes you don’t need the whole picture presented to you, just snippets in spotlights.  That was my inspiration for my card this week anyway.  I like the Stampin’ Up! Field of Flowers for silhouette images but I’m not keen on the coloured version so I thought I’d play around with it to see how I could use the coloured stamps on a card using the spotlight technique.

I began by stamping the leaves in Mint Macaron and the flowers in Rococo Rose, Highland Heather and So Saffron together with a few dragonflies in Smoky Slate.  Then I used various punches to cut circles to make my spotlights.

Next, I made my background by stamping the sentiment and ink blending a few circles using my sponge daubers and my homemade circle mask.

For the liner and envelope, I punched a circle from a post-it note and stamped the images into the hole so that the image would have a circular shape to mirror the spotlights on the fronts.

Lastly, I assembled the card, gluing some spotlights directly onto the card front and raising some up on foam dimensionals, and adding a few rhinestones.

I’m really happy with the results of my experiment!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!