Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Farewell Dragonfly Dreams

This week’s post says goodbye to the Dragonfly Dreams stamps and matching Detailed Dragonflies as they are one of the many items that has not made the cut to be included in the new catalogue, launching on 4th June.  I’m sad to see them go although they will not be leaving my personal collection any time soon as they are one of my most frequently used sets and are so versatile.  I’ve made anniversary, birthday, sympathy and thank you cards and I’ve even been able to use them to make those tricky masculine cards too.   The stamps have been used to make lovely wrapping paper using brown ink on brown parcel paper, topped off with a fabulous tag sporting a die cut dragonfly.

I saw the design for this card on Pinterest and thought it looked really stylish.  The key to this is using foil card in embossing folders, it gives a really stunning effect. For this card, I used the copper foil card and the planks embossing folder.

The dragonfly topper was cut from black glitter paper.  I’ve found a useful tip when using detailed dies like this is to use some waxed paper between the die and the card, it helps to release the card from the die.

I usually stamp the inside of the card and the envelope to coordinate with the card front but this time I used the embossing folder to decorate these elements.

The result is a simple but stylish card.

The different coloured foils really change the feel of the card.  Lovely Lipstick foil, Layered Leaves embossing folder and silver glimmer paper make this card.

Silver foil paper and black glimmer paper feature on this card.

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!