I’m happy to report that I’m out of the sling this week although nowhere near back to normal yet ☹ The few days in the sling allowed my muscles to calm down enough so that the weight of my arm was bearable again. This week I’ve had some physio and acupuncture and I’ve got this really jazzy strapping helping me out.
However, I still can’t use my right hand for very long until my arm starts to hurt so I thought I’d challenge my left hand to some everyday tasks! The first was writing. Well, I struggled to even hold the pen to begin with! My pages of alphabet look like they were written by a 6-year old but at least they look like letters. My blog posts and photo editing is also all being done left handed, albeit slowly, but I have learned some useful keyboard shortcuts.
So, then I turned my attention to crafting and what I could make that would be simple, forgiving and hopefully not too frustrating. I had some 2” strips of card left over from another project that I’d saved for tags, so tags it was! My coordination with my left-hand, when operating solo, is a bit sketchy so I used my Stamparatus to help with the stamping. The bare trees from Winter Woods were mounted on one side of the door and the greeting on the other. I stamped them onto the lining paper so I could line up my tags with the images.
Using Versamark ink and clear embossing powder, I stamped and heat set the trees on each tag. Then I cut a wavy edge to the top of a Post-it note for the mask and used the overhangs of the mask to hold the tag in position. I used a sponge brayer to colour the sky. The ink is applied so gradually, it’s a very forgiving method so handy for my non-dominant hand.
The embossing resists the ink and any residue was easily removed with a tissue. To give more texture to the sky, I spritzed some water on and dabbed it off with a tissue.
Next, the door of the Stamparatus was turned over so I could stamp the greeting. I then punched the tops with the Scalloped Tag Topper punch.
Since they were Christmas tags, I wanted a bit of sparkle so I put them into my ‘spraying box’ and sprayed with Champagne Shimmer Mist/isopropyl alcohol mix.
The last job was to attach some ribbon, for which I did have to bring my right hand out of retirement! The whole project probably took me twice as long as usual but at least I was crafting. It must have given my brain quite a workout too as I had to have a nap afterwards!
Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!