Blended Bunnies

We don’t usually send many Easter cards but with the mad year we’ve had and not being able to see people in person for so long, it seemed a good way to let people know we’re thinking of them.  Since I don’t have a lot of use for Easter cards, I only have one stamp set and that has been sent to everyone already so I needed some fresh material! Hello Cricut! I found a free SVG file from Craft House, cut out some bunnies and tails and created this card.

Whilst weeding the vinyl and seeing the outline of the bunnies, it occurred to me that I could make a stencil of the bunnies.  So, I created multiple bunnies in Design Space, arranged and sized them for my card and cut out two stencils from acetate – one for the bunnies and one for the tails!

Using my new blending brushes, I added pastel colours to the bunnies through the stencil.

Once the bunnies were complete, I added the tails using white pigment ink.  Unfortunately, this didn’t show up as much as I thought it would so I went over the tails again and added white embossing powder which, when heat set, showed up much better.  Embossing paste would probably work well too.

One of my cards was an ombre and on the other, I tried to colour each bunny separately. Some of the ink did get onto the adjacent bunnies but they still look OK.

Inspired by the bunny stencil, I then made another stencil, this time of Easter eggs and blended the same colours into the gaps.

For added decoration, I used my white gel pen to make simple patterns on the eggs.

This stencil had a nice gap in which to stamp the greeting.

I’m so happy with how these cards turned out and I love the blended pastel colours too!

A Whaley Good Birthday

I really like the Whale of a Time DSP from Stampin’ Up! It makes it very simple to create a stunning background for cards. However, to avoid it looking like I’d just stuck a bit of paper on my card, I cut my DSP into panels and matted them.

Using the coordinating punch, I cut out a whale and glued it onto a whale cut from navy card to give more stability.

I heat embossed my sentiments in silver and also added the bubbles on the centre panel above where the whale would be.

The inside sentiment is from the Whale Done stamp set together with the shoal of fish, which I also stamped on the envelope.

The final job was to assemble the various elements.  The panels were glued onto the card base and I added foam behind the whale and the sentiments for some dimension.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

A Cricut Challenge

I bought this Nordic ornament stamp last week and I’ve been trying to think of the best way to present it.  It’s about 5¼” across and I don’t have any dies that big.  Also, I wanted it to have the hanger part on the top too so a straight circle die wouldn’t work.  This seemed like a perfect job for the Cricut.

To begin, I stamped the hanger and bow and scanned it in to my computer.  I imported it into Inkscape using a great tutorial from TroyTube on YouTube and then added an offset (the red part) to give me my basic cut-out shape.  I played around with the shape a bit to remove the holes to make the cut-out section sturdier.

Next, I uploaded the finished shape into Cricut Design Space and scaled it to fit the stamped image.  I made the basic card shape by making a circle 5½” diameter and welding the ornament hanger onto the top.  I also sliced a smidge off the bottom so that the card would stand up.  The shape was duplicated and flipped horizontally so that it would be a mirror image and then overlapped the first circle a small amount to give a place for the fold.  A test cut revealed not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

My first card was for a swap in a Facebook group.  I stamped the image in Versamark and heat embossed in white before blending pink, purple and blue inks over.  The embossing resists the ink but gives texture with a lovely blended background.  Lastly, I added some rhinestones on the centre of the snowflakes and a small sentiment.  And a decorated envelope, of course!

I tried the stamp out on other coloured cards to see if it was as effective.  It gave good results whether it was heat embossed or just stamped, although a stamp positioner does help as it’s tricky to get all sections of big stamps to stamp well first time.

White embossing powder on Real Red and gold embossing powder on Shaded Spruce
White embossing powder on Sahara Sand and silver ink on Blackberry Bliss

I hate waste so try to salvage anything that hasn’t gone to plan.  Tags to the rescue!