It was Valentine’s Day on Friday and whilst we don’t buy big presents or go out and get fleeced for a distinctly average meal, I do enjoy making a card for Mr L. He generally gets his crafting on and asks for access to my craft room to make me a card too – which I LOVE! I don’t get many handmade cards. I’ve just got the This Little Piggy set and thought it would be perfect to use for my card using the mirror stamping technique. I wrote a blog post last March on how to do this technique, it’s linked at the end if you’d like a refresh.
To begin, I mirror stamped my pigs.
Next, I coloured them in using some alcohol markers and also drew in some more grass in the gap in the middle to unite the two images.
I then stamped the pig on the front and back of a post-it note and cut around them to create two masks. Note: The ink stamped on the adhesive on the back of the note stayed wet for a long time so I repeatedly pressed the adhesive part on scrap paper.
Using the bunch of hearts from Forever Lovely, I second generation stamped using Rococo Rose and Lovely Lipstick inks. I also stamped the trio of smaller hearts from the same set and then removed the masks.
I wanted a fun, pig-based sentiment for my card so I hand lettered one.
Lastly, I mounted the piece on Lovely Lipstick and Basic Black mat layers and then onto a Real Red cardbase. I finished by adding some epoxy heart droplets over some of the stamped hearts for some dimension and a couple of pink hearts to frame the sentiment.
When I first started card making, I was completely flummoxed as to how these kinds of cards were created! Little did I know that it’s actually quite straight forward and just requires some precise cutting of layers but looks super impressive.
I started off cutting my layers, mats and card base as follows:
The next job is to use temporary adhesive to stack up the layers to be stamped. I used a tiny bit of snail adhesive that I patted on my clothes a few times to reduce the stickiness as the layers will need to be taken apart again later without damaging them.
I stamped the greeting onto the front panel and then used an All Adorned stamp (from Sale-A-Bration) and Sahara Sand ink for background interest. As I wanted a light background pattern, I used second generation stamping by stamping off first onto scrap paper and then stamping onto the card layer. I found it necessary to press a little harder that usual to get down the ‘drops’ at the edge of the layers. There was a slight break in the stamping but this would be covered by the mat layers so no need to panic!
The next step was to add the coloured focal element. I used the rose from Forever Lovely and Lovely Lipstick ink. Once this stage was complete, the layers were pulled apart again ready for mounting onto the mats.
A good point to remember is to ensure you don’t inadvertently turn a piece the wrong way up! The images should line up either side of the mat layers. I stuck the largest layer onto the card base, then mounted the top and second layers onto their respective mats.
The top piece was adhered to the centre of the second layer and I added a contrasting ribbon for some added interest. This layer was then mounted onto the card base using dimensional foam pieces.
This card features the large rose from Frosted Bouquet and Bermuda Bay ink.
The card liner was also stamped with the same design for a coordinated look.
Another version of Frosted Bouquet and Lovely Lipstick on Smoky Slate.
As the weather has been superb this week, Mr L and I have been spending quite a lot of time out in the garden and in greenhouse, sowing vegetable and flower seeds. I love the potential of this time of year; the bright green buds of new leaf growth, tiny new shoots emerging through the soil together with the amazing colour variety of spring flowers. The insects are also emerging. It’s lovely to see lots of bees and butterflies flying around, although our pussy cats’ favourite game at the moment is catching (and eating – gross!) butterflies, much to my chargrin. To compensate for our cats’ antisocial behaviour, I have sown a multitude of flowers that are attractive to butterflies and bees, providing lots nectar and pollen for them. It’s the least I can do!
Butterflies are the subject of my cards this week, using the Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala stamp and accompanying punch and the Crackle Paint background stamp.
I began by stamping and punching out the butterflies. I like to add odd numbered accents to my card so I used 2 large and 1 small butterfly for each card. My colour themes were to be monochrome and pink/white/black so I used Lovely Lipstick ink and a Wink of Stella brush to colour one set of butterflies and the Wink of Stella by itself for the other set.
Once coloured in, I mounted each butterfly onto a Basic Black or Lovely Lipstick foil background, adhering only the body section so that the wings could be gently folded up to provide some 3D interest.
The background pieces were stamped using the Crackle Paint stamp using black ink. The sentiments are from Butterfly Gala and Forever Lovely and cut out using the stitched rectangle framelits and the Pretty Label punch. To complete the butterflies, I added some gemstones for the heads.