Fabulous Foiling

Recently, my Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  The doctor said that learning new things could be good for her so I invited her and my sister round to make some Christmas cards.  My mojo is still not in full flow so I wanted to something relatively easy so decided to try out a new product I’d bought to make some foiled cards.

We started by blending a variety of Distress Oxides to make the background for our snowflakes.  After blending, the card was spritzed with some water to create the distressed look.

Next, the Newton’s Nook Snowfall stencil was taped in place before applying a thin layer of Deco Foil Transfer Gel Duo.  The stencil was removed and the gel left to dry, when it will be clear but it is still sticky. 

The duo part of this gel means that it can be used to foil either the usual way with heat in a laminator or by pressure using a die cutting machine.  For the snowflakes, I used the pressure method.  The foil was placed on top of the card and then run through my Big Shot.   I was very excited when I first peeled off the foil to reveal uber-shiny silver snowflakes on the background!  So pretty!

I wanted the snowflake panels to be the focus of the cards so simply added a sentiment.

For the snowflakes, I used Cricut foil so I wanted to try out some proper Deco Foil to see if that was any different.  I tried this out with the Newton’s Nook Holiday Foliage stencil and Deco Foil in a gold and green mix.  To asses the different finish between using pressure or heat, I did one of each with these panels. 

The one on the left is the heated foil, the pressure foil on the right. The heated one has a smoother finish.

Again, I left these panels as the focal images on the card and just added a small sentiment.

I really love the shine on these cards and enjoyed showing my Mum and sister how to make them – and they had fun too!

Marvellous Metallics

Last week I used foil sheets and embossing folders to provide interesting focal panels.  This week, I’m still embossing but using metallic embossing powder and heat.  I love using the metallic powders on dark card stock, especially the heating part – watching the powder melt and transform from matt granules to glorious shine!  Line style stamps work best for this technique so I decided an outing for the floral elements of Tea Together was in order.

I began by generously applying the Embossing Buddy over my Basic Black card front to remove static and oils from my fingers which would attract the embossing powder.  Next, I random stamped the various images using Versamark, rotating them and stamping off the edge too.  I also stamped another small flower on a scrap of black card, the sentiment and the large rose onto the liner.  I then applied gold embossing powder to the stamping and heat set it.

For my mat layer, I didn’t have enough gold foil sheet so I manufactured a bit using embossing powder.  This is a handy tip to employ too if your embossing powder doesn’t quite match your foil sheets.  To do this, I simply pressed the edges of the card onto the Versamark pad and then applied the powder.  It wasn’t completely uniform, more of a ‘hammered’ finish but I liked it.  If you wanted it to be smooth, you can apply another layer over the top.

My sentiment was embossed onto velum, which is not very forgiving when it comes to adhesive as the adhesive shows through.  I applied a large blob that I knew would be covered by my small flower decal and some teeny tiny dots behind the letters.

The last stage was to add the liner to the inside and then assemble the layers and top it off with the flower decal on some foam dimensionals.

My second card used the same stamps on Basic Grey card and silver embossing powder.  For the mat layer, I used plain velum for an understated look.

The third card features Night of Navy card and copper embossing powder with a copper foil sheet mat layer.

My last card used Basic Grey and silver embossing powder and the small flower.  After heat setting the powder, I used the Chalk Marker to add three small lines to each petal for some added interest.  The background looked a little bare still so I also added little groups of three dots.  (I was introduced to the “power of the dot” when I did my cake decorating course in prep for making my wedding cake).  Small but very effective!

Four cards using the same stamps and technique but with quite different results!

 

 

 

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!