Together with my friend and my sister, I recently attended a workshop run by Driftwood & Daisies to learn how to create a beautiful floral topiary tree arrangement. The session began with a demonstration from Jo and a cuppa before we were let loose to create.
To begin, the ball of oasis was positioned on top of the pole and marked lightly into quarters vertically and then in half horizontally. These lines were the starting point to begin inserting small sprigs of foliage and lavender.
Once all the lines were complete, the next stage was to begin to fill the areas between the lines with more foliage and to start adding some flowers.
This process was repeated, adding more flowers to fill gaps, interspersed with standing back to assess the shape and check for bald spots!
Eventually, you have to stick a fork in it and call it done! Knowing when to stop with these kind of things is always a challenge.
The final task was to decorate the top of the pot with some moss and a small arrangement, to tie in the colours with the main ball.
Here is my finished topiary tree – I was really pleased with the result! As well as looking lovely, it also smells amazing due to all that lavender.
The base and pole can be reused so I’m looking forward to creating more trees later in the year. I’ll also be looking at what other workshops are available from Driftwood and Daisies as this was a very enjoyable way to spend a morning!
At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.
To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut. It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice. After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.
Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals. Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.
The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.
I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.
Sometimes I get a bit focused on producing fancy and complicated cards and I lose sight of how I started in card making – just simply stamping. I bought the Perennial Birthday stamp set purely for the birthday sentiments and hadn’t really considered using the other images to produce a card. How very remiss of me! After being inspired by Sally Bowman, one of the Inspiring Inkin’ team, I firstly copied her card to get me in the groove and then let my creative juices flow. I cut a bunch of card fronts and just stamped away!
Some are a variation on a theme using different colours – it’s remarkable how just changing the colours can give a card a completely different feel.
For this card, I masked a section using a Post-it note to leave me a blank space to stamp the sentiment.
Others I did a bit more with and fussy cut the flowers and leaves, layering them onto an embossed stamped background.
I even managed a ‘male’ card by repeat stamping the large sentiment using a rainbow palette of inks.
The Stamparatus came in very handy for this technique. Once I’d worked out the height of the stamp, I made myself a template so I can easily replicate the repeat stamping style in future.
This set has a whole new lease of life now and I’ve enjoyed getting back to basics again. Win-win all round!