A Wedding Honour

Towards the end of last year, my friend asked me if I would help her with her wedding invitations.  I was really honoured to be asked! She and her fiancé didn’t really have any ideas with regard to the style of invitations but that their wedding colour would be purple.  After trawling Pinterest to see what is fashionable now, I made 8 invitations for the couple to choose from.  Some were stamped, some were from Cricut’s project library and some I designed from scratch.  I was so chuffed when they chose my own design.

My design was based on the bride and groom’s initials and an ampersand, all woven together.  I used my Cricut to cut these out of purple card and also cut out the initials themselves from silver card.

Since the card would be a gatefold, I wanted a belly band to hold the card closed.  This was decorated with a glitter heart and some purple and white ribbon.

The wording for the inside was done on the computer and printed out.  After being cut to size, I heat embossed a repeating silver leaf pattern all around the edge.

The envelopes had the same silver leaf embossing to match.

The back of each gate was covered with a piece of velum and the initials glued onto the front.

It was quite a nerve-wracking experience making these invitations – even more so than when Mr L and I made our own – I don’t think I’ll be going into the wedding invitations business any time soon!!  However, I love the fact that the bride and groom have their very own unique and personal invitations to send to their guests.  And that makes me happy! 😊

Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Another Anniversary

A few weeks ago, Mr L and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at home, unusually for us.  We normally like to go away somewhere sunny for our anniversary but obviously that’s not been an option this year.  We often go to Thailand as we love the food as well as the weather so we celebrated with a Thai takeaway.  It was delicious although not quite the same as eating with your feet in the sand and the sound of waves lapping at the shore.  Oh well, maybe next year.

For my card for Mr L, I used my Cricut.  There was a project in Design Space of a heart shaped jigsaw so I cut out a bunch of these in black and white, together with some purple as this was our wedding colour. I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do so I cut out plenty so I could play around with them.

After adhering the black frame, I decided to stack the jigsaw pieces but dry embossed the top layer to add some interest without it getting to busy.

The lettering was from black vinyl using the Cricut and stuck onto the card.  Infuriatingly, the transfer tape ripped my card just as I reached the end.  Emergency repairs required! As I had some jigsaw pieces to spare, I cut a couple of these down to cover the corners.  I actually like the card better with the corners on as it complimented the heart shaped focal element.

Mr L’s card to me was a true masterpiece!  He was inspired by the 20th Century Fox logo and used it to sketch out his design and coloured it beautifully with coloured pencils.

I do love receiving his homemade cards!