A few weeks ago, Mr L and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at home, unusually for us. We normally like to go away somewhere sunny for our anniversary but obviously that’s not been an option this year. We often go to Thailand as we love the food as well as the weather so we celebrated with a Thai takeaway. It was delicious although not quite the same as eating with your feet in the sand and the sound of waves lapping at the shore. Oh well, maybe next year.
For my card for Mr L, I used my Cricut. There was a project in Design Space of a heart shaped jigsaw so I cut out a bunch of these in black and white, together with some purple as this was our wedding colour. I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do so I cut out plenty so I could play around with them.
After adhering the black frame, I decided to stack the jigsaw pieces but dry embossed the top layer to add some interest without it getting to busy.
The lettering was from black vinyl using the Cricut and stuck onto the card. Infuriatingly, the transfer tape ripped my card just as I reached the end. Emergency repairs required! As I had some jigsaw pieces to spare, I cut a couple of these down to cover the corners. I actually like the card better with the corners on as it complimented the heart shaped focal element.
Mr L’s card to me was a true masterpiece! He was inspired by the 20th Century Fox logo and used it to sketch out his design and coloured it beautifully with coloured pencils.
This week’s star of the show is the Stampin’ Up! Evergreen Forest 3D embossing folder. It’s super detailed and has so much dimension that it deserves to be the focal point of the card. I paired it with the new Brushed Metallic cardstock for added glitz!
To begin, I embossed a top layer of white card and a skinnier panel of metallic card. I deliberately made my metallic panel longer so that I’d have some wiggle room when assembling the two together.
As the embossing is so deep, it’s easy to ‘feel’ when the panels are aligned and the branches match. Once aligned, I glued first the top half, holding the bottom in place, then lifted the bottom to adhere that. I used lots of liquid glue to get into all the nooks and crannies of the trees. Once dry, I trimmed off the excess metallic card.
I wanted a pop of colour on the card so I applied a strip of adhesive tape across the panel to attach some coordinating ribbon.
Lastly, I mounted the panel onto a Cherry Cobbler mat layer and then onto the Smoky Slate card base, adding the greeting.
Since I had three colours of brushed metallic card, I had to make three cards. This one is in more traditional colours comprising Cherry Cobbler and Garden Green.
The last one is copper with Pretty Peacock and Night of Navy.
My challenge to myself this week was to make a masculine card. I used the skeleton leaves from Stampin’ Up! Rooted In Nature for my background design but didn’t fancy the trees as the focal image. Instead I opted to make the sentiment the focal image and add interest with texture with heat and dry embossing.
First, I random stamped the skeleton leaves with Versamark, added copper whisperembossing powder and heat set. Texture 1 complete!
The second texture was created by using copper glimmer paper and the hammered metal 3D embossing folder. The third was Old Olive paper and the Subtle embossing folder.
Many of the Stampin’ Up! sentiments are quite scripty and not necessarily what I would use for a bloke’s card; I prefer thick brush script or block lettering. Instead, I used an Avery Elle set which always makes me smile. I stamped with Early Espresso ink and then applied clear embossing powder over the top to give some extra oomph since it was the focal element.
The last job was to assemble, using lots of wet glue to glue those textures together. I added a small strip from the Old Olive layer and popped the sentiment up on dimensionals.