At an Angle

Sometimes, a jaunty angle can really add a new dimension to a project.  When I first tried this card, I cut it straight across and it looked… well… distinctly average.  However, make a diagonal cut and the whole thing is transformed.  I give you three options, depending how much work you want to put in!

To begin, I stamped the greeting from Stampin’ Up! Snowflake Wishes on the bottom of my card front, just so I had an idea of how much to chop off.  I found a nice angle if I lined up the bottom right corner with the top of the grid section on my trimmer and the top right corner against the stop rail.  This also allowed me to repeat the cards at more or less the same angle.

The top section was embossed using the Winter Snow folder and I covered the join with a ¼” strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper, trimming the ends flush with the white panel.

The whole panel was mounted onto a Balmy Blue layer and then onto a white card base.

For an easier option, I cut a piece of Snowflake Splendour DSP about 5” long and a piece of Whisper White about 1½”, placed the white piece on the right side of the patterned paper and cut both together at the same angle.

I flipped over the white piece and stamped the sentiment, then covered the join with the strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper.  By cutting the two pieces together, the pieces should have the same angle and match up.  Hopefully!  The piece was trimmed to size and mounted like the previous card.

The last option is a bit more work.  I embossed the white piece with the Subtle folder and cut out a selection of snowflakes using the So Many Snowflakes dies.  Tip: applying a sheet of adhesive to the glimmer paper before die cutting the snowflakes makes the next step much easier.  Guess who didn’t remember to do that!  These snowflakes were stuck onto the embossed piece and any overhanging bits were trimmed off.

This panel was mounted like the previous cards.

One design, 3 different looks!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Glitzy Golden Forest

This week’s star of the show is the Stampin’ Up! Evergreen Forest 3D embossing folder.  It’s super detailed and has so much dimension that it deserves to be the focal point of the card.  I paired it with the new Brushed Metallic cardstock for added glitz!

To begin, I embossed a top layer of white card and a skinnier panel of metallic card.  I deliberately made my metallic panel longer so that I’d have some wiggle room when assembling the two together.

As the embossing is so deep, it’s easy to ‘feel’ when the panels are aligned and the branches match.  Once aligned, I glued first the top half, holding the bottom in place, then lifted the bottom to adhere that.  I used lots of liquid glue to get into all the nooks and crannies of the trees.  Once dry, I trimmed off the excess metallic card.

I wanted a pop of colour on the card so I applied a strip of adhesive tape across the panel to attach some coordinating ribbon.

Lastly, I mounted the panel onto a Cherry Cobbler mat layer and then onto the Smoky Slate card base, adding the greeting.

Since I had three colours of brushed metallic card, I had to make three cards. This one is in more traditional colours comprising Cherry Cobbler and Garden Green.

The last one is copper with Pretty Peacock and Night of Navy.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Snowflake Shaker

One of the dies in the So Many Snowflakes cuts out a stitched window, which is crying out to be made into a shaker card!  To make the scene through the window, I used the Snow Front stamp set.

The first job was to cut out the window.  I eyeballed the position of the die to get it more or less in the centre.

As my cutting plates are somewhat manky, the card was marked a little so I ran it through the Winter Snow embossing folder to disguise the marks.  Remember to stamp the sentiment before embossing!

Next, I stamped my scene onto a smaller piece of card.  I drew around the die lightly to help with positioning my scene and erased the pencil marks afterwards.  Although the scene is navy in this picture, I changed my mind and did another in Basic Grey – to avoid any confusion in the later photos!

To make the shaker element, I glued a piece of acetate onto the back of the window and then applied foam strips around the window.  It’s important that the strips meet up snuggly to prevent the sequins or glitter escaping!  I added another layer of foam around the edge of the card ready for mounting onto the card.  Lastly, I removed the backing paper, added the sequins into the window area and positioned the scene, pressing down well.

The shaker was mounted on a Basic Grey layer and then onto a Smoky Slate card base.

In case you can’t be bothered with making a shaker card, the idea works equally well without as just a simple 3D window card.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!