Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Happy New Home

This week, my sister and brother-in-law moved from 120 miles away to ‘cup-of-tea distance’ (7 miles) away!  I haven’t lived this close to my sister for just over 30 years so I’m very happy indeed to have her nearby again.  This week’s post is the new home card that I made for them.

To begin, I cut a house from the Home Together die set a couple of times together with a panel to fit behind the heart hole.  I glued these layers together and added a red glitter heart into the hole.

Next was my background and I used the Detailed Hearts die.  I cut one in white and another in Smoky Slate as I wanted to inlay some of the hearts with white and grey.  This die cuts out loads of hearts – handy for a shaker card!

My greeting was next.  I have no ‘new home’ sentiment stamps and the home related ones I do have say Congrats.  Eugh! – I hate Congrats!!  So, I’d have to make my own.  I wanted to say ‘Happy New Home’ so I used the happy from a happy birthday die.  A quick tip for die cutting.  I’ve had this die for many years.  The more modern dies seem to release easier but this one holds on to the card so well that the cut-out often rips when trying to get it out of the die.  If you have dies like this, add a layer of wax paper between the die and the card and it will release much easier.

For my sentiment panel, I cut out a small rectangle, rounded the corners, adhered the glitter ‘happy’ and then wrote in ‘new home’.  I then glued the house onto the rectangle.

The heart panel was mounted onto a grey card base and the sentiment popped up on foam dimensionals with some silver thread underneath.

At an Angle

Sometimes, a jaunty angle can really add a new dimension to a project.  When I first tried this card, I cut it straight across and it looked… well… distinctly average.  However, make a diagonal cut and the whole thing is transformed.  I give you three options, depending how much work you want to put in!

To begin, I stamped the greeting from Stampin’ Up! Snowflake Wishes on the bottom of my card front, just so I had an idea of how much to chop off.  I found a nice angle if I lined up the bottom right corner with the top of the grid section on my trimmer and the top right corner against the stop rail.  This also allowed me to repeat the cards at more or less the same angle.

The top section was embossed using the Winter Snow folder and I covered the join with a ¼” strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper, trimming the ends flush with the white panel.

The whole panel was mounted onto a Balmy Blue layer and then onto a white card base.

For an easier option, I cut a piece of Snowflake Splendour DSP about 5” long and a piece of Whisper White about 1½”, placed the white piece on the right side of the patterned paper and cut both together at the same angle.

I flipped over the white piece and stamped the sentiment, then covered the join with the strip of Balmy Blue glimmer paper.  By cutting the two pieces together, the pieces should have the same angle and match up.  Hopefully!  The piece was trimmed to size and mounted like the previous card.

The last option is a bit more work.  I embossed the white piece with the Subtle folder and cut out a selection of snowflakes using the So Many Snowflakes dies.  Tip: applying a sheet of adhesive to the glimmer paper before die cutting the snowflakes makes the next step much easier.  Guess who didn’t remember to do that!  These snowflakes were stuck onto the embossed piece and any overhanging bits were trimmed off.

This panel was mounted like the previous cards.

One design, 3 different looks!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!