Three Amigos

Our lovely Godson celebrated his first birthday recently so I looked through my stash to find something suitable for a 1st birthday card.  The Three Amigos set by Mama Elephant caught my eye as I thought I could stack the critters to create a number 1. 

Upon further consideration, I decided that it wouldn’t be obvious that the stack was number 1 so I created a one-shaped card in Design Space and cut it out on my Cricut Maker, together with a couple of layers.

Next, I stamped the critters and coloured them with my Copic markers.  I stamped the sentiments and added a tiny heart from another stamp set.

Using the matching dies, I cut out the critters.  Since the critters would stick out from the No.1 and the Copic markers bleed through the card, I cut additional die cuts from the card base to cover the back of the colouring.

The animals didn’t reach the top of the card so I cut a little section of white card and stencilled clouds on it.  I die cut 2 lengths of ‘grass’ for the base.

Lastly, I popped the critters up on foam pads and added foam pads to the top layer of grass. 

To add a little more dimension to the characters, I finished them with some clear Nuvo drops on the eyes, noses and the hearts.

One For The Books

This card was a commission from a friend for a card for his wife.  The brief was “she likes books”.  I don’t have any stamp sets or dies featuring books and, whilst there are some available, the cost was rather high just to make one card.  My drawing skills are minimal but I figured I could draw a few books since they’re basically just rectangles so I set about sketching a doodle-style bookcase, adding a few stamps that were the appropriate size.

After this sketch was approved by my friend, I started on the proper version.  I wanted to watercolour the images so drew out the shelves on watercolour paper and stamped the various images in place using Versafine Clair ink, which is waterproof.

Using a waterproof fineliner, I then drew in the books.

Once the drawing was complete, I pulled out my paints and spent a pleasant half hour adding some colour to the images.

For the central focal panel, I had planned to use the Cricut to cut out some book shapes however I couldn’t get any svg files that I liked so I drew more books instead topped with a mug sporting the recipient’s initial.  The sentiment was printed using my printer.

The feature elements of the panel were cut using my Cricut.  I even ‘glazed’ the glasses using some acetate!

I added some small images to the envelope and the inside panel of the card.

Each panel was mounted onto a black mat and then onto a 8” x 8” card blank. 

I really enjoyed the challenge of creating this card and was pleased with the finished item.

Cricutting Christmas

Have you made all your Christmas cards yet? Every year, I think I’ll make a few each month so that by December, I can just write and send.  It never works out like that. I did make two in January but then didn’t make any more until October or November and ended up ‘panic crafting’ in December.  The trouble with that is, it’s not always much fun.  Maybe I’ll do better next year…?

In the Black Friday sale, I purchased a few cutting files to use with my Cricut Maker machine to create some Christmas cards so I have not one, but six, cards to share with you this week.  To begin, here’s a card I made last year when I didn’t know much about cutting files!  I used the Cricut to write the skinny letters and draw the holly and cut out the big words in metallic vinyl.

This next one was a free download called minimalist trees.  I switched the stars from the original as I prefer 5-pointed stars.  The infills made a bonus tag!

My sister loves the gnomes, or gonks as they’re called where we grew up.  As soon as I saw this file, I thought it’d be perfect for her card.  This design was cut from self-adhesive vinyl.

I loved how the gnomes turned out so used one of them for Mr L’s card.  The lettering was cut from vinyl but the gnome is cut from card and popped up on some foam tape.

His beard is flocked card so it’s a little bit furry!  I added some glitter Nuvo drops onto the hearts to give them some dimension.

This next card was for our neighbours so I wanted to have houses on it.  The original houses in the cutting file were too intricate to cut for a small project like this so I created a roof line silhouette instead. The background was ink blended with Distress Oxides and spritzed with water which gives a lovely starry night sky look.

I also added a spray of Perfect Pearls mixed with isopropyl alcohol to give the background some shine.  It’s tricky to photograph but here’s a close up.

Lastly, a nativity scene, again with an inked background.  For this one, I wanted the light from the star shining on the stable to be the focal point.

I hope you’re not having to do too much panic crafting for Christmas and, instead, can enjoy the creative process.