A Cricut Challenge

I bought this Nordic ornament stamp last week and I’ve been trying to think of the best way to present it.  It’s about 5¼” across and I don’t have any dies that big.  Also, I wanted it to have the hanger part on the top too so a straight circle die wouldn’t work.  This seemed like a perfect job for the Cricut.

To begin, I stamped the hanger and bow and scanned it in to my computer.  I imported it into Inkscape using a great tutorial from TroyTube on YouTube and then added an offset (the red part) to give me my basic cut-out shape.  I played around with the shape a bit to remove the holes to make the cut-out section sturdier.

Next, I uploaded the finished shape into Cricut Design Space and scaled it to fit the stamped image.  I made the basic card shape by making a circle 5½” diameter and welding the ornament hanger onto the top.  I also sliced a smidge off the bottom so that the card would stand up.  The shape was duplicated and flipped horizontally so that it would be a mirror image and then overlapped the first circle a small amount to give a place for the fold.  A test cut revealed not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

My first card was for a swap in a Facebook group.  I stamped the image in Versamark and heat embossed in white before blending pink, purple and blue inks over.  The embossing resists the ink but gives texture with a lovely blended background.  Lastly, I added some rhinestones on the centre of the snowflakes and a small sentiment.  And a decorated envelope, of course!

I tried the stamp out on other coloured cards to see if it was as effective.  It gave good results whether it was heat embossed or just stamped, although a stamp positioner does help as it’s tricky to get all sections of big stamps to stamp well first time.

White embossing powder on Real Red and gold embossing powder on Shaded Spruce
White embossing powder on Sahara Sand and silver ink on Blackberry Bliss

I hate waste so try to salvage anything that hasn’t gone to plan.  Tags to the rescue!

Floral Frame

Well, it doesn’t seem like a year since I was creating an anniversary card for my parents’ golden wedding but clearly it is, so it’s also time to create another one!   I had in my mind a floral frame featuring dandelion silhouettes with some lettering on top.  It was clearly a job for the Cricut.

I started in Design Space by adding various dandelion, floral and leaf elements and arranging and rearranging them into a square to create my background floral frame.

Next, I added two cut out sections so that my letters would stand out more and then added the text.  I went for a bouncy alignment as this allowed the words to be cut as whole pieces (more or less!).  I then cut out the frame and two white versions of the sentiments.

I also cut a purple version of the sentiment for the top layer.

The reason for the white layers was to build up dimension so the sentiment stood proud of the frame.  I glued the two white sentiments onto the frame and then stuck the purple one on top.  This was the fiddliest job of the lot!

To add some extra glitz, I went over the lettering with some sparkly glue and left it to dry.  This gave some shine and a bit of sparkle whilst not overpowering the look of the card.  Some rhinestones and enamel hearts finished the card and I added some dandelions and hearts cut from leftover vinyl to the envelope.

 

 

My New Toy

Happy New Year! I hope that you had a good time over the festive season.  I was working a night shift on New Year’s Eve but since I was working with Mr L, it was OK.  This week I’ve been playing with my new toy I had for Christmas – one of those ‘To me, from me’ gifts!!  It’s a Cricut Maker cutting machine.  After my friend lent me hers for a couple of weeks, I had to have one.  I started by cutting out some vinyl letters to put on the festive radiator bed I made for Leia.  So cute!

There’s a lot to learn to get the most out of it, in particular how to use the Design Space to create the projects.  To practice ‘slicing’, I decided to make some window templates for my card making.  The beauty of this is that the shapes can be lined up and cut accurately. I tried the template with circles, squares, hearts, stars and rectangles.

For my card, I used the square template and applied Blackberry Bliss ink with a sponge dauber.

Once the ink was dry, I stamped the skeleton leaf from the Rooted in Nature bundle with Versamark, applied silver embossing powder and heat set it.

The sentiment was added and the front mounted onto a Blackberry Bliss card base. The leaf was stamped onto the liner and envelope.

I used the cut outs to make my other card, using a different leaf from the set, heat embossed using copper embossing powder and mounted onto Mint Macaron squares.

 

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!