Today is Father’s Day in the UK so I’m sharing my cards that I made for my Dad and Father-in-Law. I wanted to use the cute bear from the stamp set ‘Happy Day’ from the Colorado Craft Company – I thought it’d be a great focal image for a masculine card.
First, I stamped the bears using Versafine black ink, which is waterproof once it’s dry, and then water-coloured them. One was a hairy bear, the other a more smooth coated bear! I cut them down into slim panels.
Next was my mat layer and background for my bear panels. I used Stampin’ Up! Snow Front and Waterfront stamp sets to create the mountain and forest backgrounds. Whilst these are a different illustrative style to the bear, they fit nicely with the bear’s habitat.
For my sentiment, I used Lawn Fawn’s Happy Happy Happy, heat embossed with copper powder. I triple stacked the ‘happy’ die cuts for a little extra dimension.
Here are my final cards. I stamped the card liner and envelope with the tree stamp and added a gold rhinestone onto the centre on the flower.
Happy New Year! I hope that you had a good time over the festive season. I was working a night shift on New Year’s Eve but since I was working with Mr L, it was OK. This week I’ve been playing with my new toy I had for Christmas – one of those ‘To me, from me’ gifts!! It’s a Cricut Maker cutting machine. After my friend lent me hers for a couple of weeks, I had to have one. I started by cutting out some vinyl letters to put on the festive radiator bed I made for Leia. So cute!
There’s a lot to learn to get the most out of it, in particular how to use the Design Space to create the projects. To practice ‘slicing’, I decided to make some window templates for my card making. The beauty of this is that the shapes can be lined up and cut accurately. I tried the template with circles, squares, hearts, stars and rectangles.
For my card, I used the square template and applied Blackberry Bliss ink with a sponge dauber.
Once the ink was dry, I stamped the skeleton leaf from the Rooted in Nature bundle with Versamark, applied silver embossing powder and heat set it.
The sentiment was added and the front mounted onto a Blackberry Bliss card base. The leaf was stamped onto the liner and envelope.
I used the cut outs to make my other card, using a different leaf from the set, heat embossed using copper embossing powder and mounted onto Mint Macaron squares.
Last week I used foil sheets and embossing folders to provide interesting focal panels. This week, I’m still embossing but using metallic embossing powder and heat. I love using the metallic powders on dark card stock, especially the heating part – watching the powder melt and transform from matt granules to glorious shine! Line style stamps work best for this technique so I decided an outing for the floral elements of Tea Together was in order.
I began by generously applying the Embossing Buddy over my Basic Black card front to remove static and oils from my fingers which would attract the embossing powder. Next, I random stamped the various images using Versamark, rotating them and stamping off the edge too. I also stamped another small flower on a scrap of black card, the sentiment and the large rose onto the liner. I then applied gold embossing powder to the stamping and heat set it.
For my mat layer, I didn’t have enough gold foil sheet so I manufactured a bit using embossing powder. This is a handy tip to employ too if your embossing powder doesn’t quite match your foil sheets. To do this, I simply pressed the edges of the card onto the Versamark pad and then applied the powder. It wasn’t completely uniform, more of a ‘hammered’ finish but I liked it. If you wanted it to be smooth, you can apply another layer over the top.
My sentiment was embossed onto velum, which is not very forgiving when it comes to adhesive as the adhesive shows through. I applied a large blob that I knew would be covered by my small flower decal and some teeny tiny dots behind the letters.
The last stage was to add the liner to the inside and then assemble the layers and top it off with the flower decal on some foam dimensionals.
My second card used the same stamps on Basic Grey card and silver embossing powder. For the mat layer, I used plain velum for an understated look.
The third card features Night of Navy card and copper embossing powder with a copper foil sheet mat layer.
My last card used Basic Grey and silver embossing powder and the small flower. After heat setting the powder, I used the Chalk Marker to add three small lines to each petal for some added interest. The background looked a little bare still so I also added little groups of three dots. (I was introduced to the “power of the dot” when I did my cake decorating course in prep for making my wedding cake). Small but very effective!
Four cards using the same stamps and technique but with quite different results!