Pinecone Wreath

The idea for a pinecone wreath card has been rumbling around my mind for a while and I finally got around to trying it out.  I used some of the £1 stamps from Lavinia to create this with a Stampin’ Up! sentiment.

To begin, I lightly drew a circle for a guide and then stamped the pinecone repeatedly, changing the angles.  I used Versafine Clair ink in Pinecone as it’s waterproof and I planned to colour over the top later.

The next layer was using the mini-holly stamp and Rainforest ink.

I then used the sycamore seed stamp as mistletoe, again in Rainforest ink.  After the inks were dry, I used some water-based brown ink pressed onto my block and the Wink Of Stella pen to colour in the pinecones and add some shimmer.

I coloured in the berries and then topped them with red Nuvo glitter drops to them.  I added some white Nuvo drops for mistletoe berries too along with a few green dots around the wreath.

The panel was edged by drawing my Sharpie along the edge and then blending a little ink onto the corners.  I also added a few gold Nuvo drops around the wreath.

Now, I had envisaged it being finished at this stage but it just didn’t feel right so I stamped Pipin looking up at the sentiment and lightly inked a snow bank to make a scene.

It doesn’t show on the picture above but the Wink of Stella gives loads of shimmer, as you can see in the banner photo at the top of the post.

Fabulous Foiling

Recently, my Mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.  The doctor said that learning new things could be good for her so I invited her and my sister round to make some Christmas cards.  My mojo is still not in full flow so I wanted to something relatively easy so decided to try out a new product I’d bought to make some foiled cards.

We started by blending a variety of Distress Oxides to make the background for our snowflakes.  After blending, the card was spritzed with some water to create the distressed look.

Next, the Newton’s Nook Snowfall stencil was taped in place before applying a thin layer of Deco Foil Transfer Gel Duo.  The stencil was removed and the gel left to dry, when it will be clear but it is still sticky. 

The duo part of this gel means that it can be used to foil either the usual way with heat in a laminator or by pressure using a die cutting machine.  For the snowflakes, I used the pressure method.  The foil was placed on top of the card and then run through my Big Shot.   I was very excited when I first peeled off the foil to reveal uber-shiny silver snowflakes on the background!  So pretty!

I wanted the snowflake panels to be the focus of the cards so simply added a sentiment.

For the snowflakes, I used Cricut foil so I wanted to try out some proper Deco Foil to see if that was any different.  I tried this out with the Newton’s Nook Holiday Foliage stencil and Deco Foil in a gold and green mix.  To asses the different finish between using pressure or heat, I did one of each with these panels. 

The one on the left is the heated foil, the pressure foil on the right. The heated one has a smoother finish.

Again, I left these panels as the focal images on the card and just added a small sentiment.

I really love the shine on these cards and enjoyed showing my Mum and sister how to make them – and they had fun too!

Start Early!

This year, I’m hoping to avoid that hectic period of Christmas card making in early December.  It’s not always very enjoyable as it gets super stressful and is not really what I want out of my crafting time.  I’m in a crafting Facebook group where they have a reminder at the beginning of the month to make a few Christmas cards so I thought I’d share the ones I made for this month.  Only two, so not a big dent in the ‘to do’ pile but you’ve got to start somewhere!

As I’m learning watercolour, I’m trying out a line and wash technique.  Usually, this is done by drawing your scene in waterproof ink but (since I can’t draw) I stamped mine with these new Anita Jeram (of ‘Guess How Much I Love You’ illustrative fame) stamps. 

I started by painting the sky and adding a little salt whilst the paint was wet.  This gives lovely texture that looks a little icy.

My colour scheme for the card base was inspired by another lady in the group.  I love seeing other people’s ideas as I would never have thought about using lime green for a Christmas card but by adding that colour to the scarf, it gives a really cohesive look.  I added a little more interest to my card bases by stamping a distressed stripe background stamp in the same ink as the card stock.

The scenes were cut out using a stitched rectangle die and simply glued on the card front.

They’re completely flat cards too so easy to post.