This week’s post is inspired by another YouTube video for Lavinia stamps, this one by Eileen Godwin. The main feature of the card is the silhouette of the cat, Mooch; I just love him!
To begin, I used my brushes and a combination of grey and pink inks and the Lavinia Charming stencil.
I was aiming for a rough heart shape.
Next, I stamped mooch using Versafine Clair Nocturne ink.
Lastly, I added the Star Cluster, also from Lavinia around Mooch’s head. I realised that this stage that the layout of the card didn’t sit quite right so I added some text using Inkylicious Background Text stamp and a Stampin’ Up! sentiment. This panel was then mounted on a cream 4” square card base.
For the other card, I kept it simple and just cut it down into a smaller square and layered onto a pink mat.
Which do you prefer? I think the second, simpler one is my favourite.
The idea for this card came to me whilst trying to think of a quick project to make an anniversary card for Mr L. It had to be quick as we were going on holiday for our anniversary and I had to make it in the hour before the taxi picked us up and I hadn’t even finished packing! Panic crafting at it’s best!! It uses the partial die cutting technique to get the opening heart shape and would be perfect for anniversary, valentine and wedding cards. I also wanted to have a go at hand lettering for the sentiment to fill the heart spaces.
Since the card for Mr L was made in somewhat of a rush, it opens the wrong way (!) and the front heart overhangs the edge. I had thought that was an error but when I made the MkII version, I realised it was due to the card stock not being wide enough so the second version is only single fold rather than bifold. I used a heart die but circle dies would also work.
The partial die cut is made by placing the die in position on the card front, overlapping the score line, and lining the top cutting pad up along the score line.
When run through the Big Shot, the die will not cut beyond the cutting pad. I trimmed the excess off down the score line to create the heart shaped front.
I die cut a smaller heart for the front and a piece of Gingham Gala DSP for the inside and decorated them with hand lettering.
I used the cat punch and some silver glimmer paper to make the two cats for the front.
I also punched two cats from the gingham paper for the back of the cats.
I reversed the cats on this card and intertwined the tails rather than having them head to head.
I love cats so when the Nine Lives stamp set appeared in the spring/summer catalogue, I had to have it. I like that you can use just the outline kitty or stamp different fur pattern effects on top. There’s a coordinating punch too which has been out for a while that saves some fussy cutting!
At a recent Stampin’ Up! team event, I watched a demonstration on mirror stamping. This technique does what it says on the tin in that it allows you to create a mirror image of the stamp. It works best using line images rather than solid ones and needs a Stamparatus or other stamp positioning tool and a silicone mat.
I thought the outline cat stamp would be suitable for this technique so to begin with, I mounted the stamp in the Stamparatus and stamped the image onto the silicone mat.
Carefully place the card face down onto the mat and close the Stamparatus plate to use the stamp to transfer the ink from the silicone mat onto the card using firm pressure over the image. Next turn the card over and stamp the image as normal and you should have the image and its mirrored counterpart next to each other!
It took me a few practices to get the pressure right so that I didn’t smudge the image or only partially transfer it.
I had hoped the cats would look like they were friends but they don’t look overly friendly. Anyone who shares their home with cats will know that they have their own agenda and will do exactly as they please! It seems that stamped cats are exactly the same!! I added some hearts from the same set and a couple of linen thread bows in a desperate attempt to make it into an anniversary card.
For my second card, I wanted to use the punch to make a ‘fun pun’ card. After punching a cat silhouette from basic grey, smoky slate, basic black and silver foil card, I cut a square card front, marked the half way points and placed a cat in each quarter. I used a black marker to write the French numbers un…deux…trois and then CAT rather than quatre for a bit of fun! Some paw prints and a dashed line finished the front which was mounted on a Basic Grey card base. Très jolie!