Fond Farewell

These days, when you buy a voucher for someone, particularly if it’s purchased online, you get an emailed voucher for you to print out.  Giving someone a sheet of paper for a gift is not very inspiring!  So, when my friend and colleague, Stu, retired recently, I was asked to create a presentation folder for said sheet of paper.  Inspired by the London skyline pop-up card I made my friend a few weeks ago, I decided to try an air traffic pop-up card.  I made it airfield themed, even though we are Area Controllers, as an Area Control building is not quite as interesting or recognisable as a control tower!

First, for the front of the card, I repeat stamped and heat embossed the bi-plane and clouds from Avery Elle’s ‘Fly By’ stamp set and stacked several die-cut ‘congrats’.  I popped one of the bi-planes up on foam tape.

To begin the inside, I cut out a control tower, some random airport buildings, a city skyline, some fighter aircraft, smoke trails, an airliner and my sentiment using my Cricut Maker.

I used my homemade cloud stencil and ink blending brushes to create a sky background for the fighter planes.

The display aircraft, smoke trails, greeting and city skyline were cut from vinyl and stuck onto the background.

After cutting the card to create the pop-up mechanism, I attached the airport buildings as the central layer and the control tower as the front.

Stu had done an Open University course and part of that included a project for running his own airline, which he’d named Skylark, hence the Skylark airliner parked by the tower.

Finally, where to put the sheet of paper containing the voucher?  Since an airfield is not complete without a runway, I thought a lift up runway would be just the job for a voucher holder.  Using the Cricut Maker again, I cut some piano keys (the white stripes at the start of the runway), some centreline markers and numbers for the runway designation.  Runways are named according to the compass bearing, rounded to the nearest 10˚, so I used Stu’s 34 years in air traffic to make Runway 34.  I popped a tiny magnet under the end of the runway to keep it down.

Enjoy your retirement Stu!

Pop-Up Celebration Card

There are a few ‘big’ birthdays this year (myself included!) so I’ve been trying to think of celebratory cards.  I often use this die set for New Year’s cards and it makes great pop-up cards.

First, I die cut the 3 scenes and added some glitter paper behind the holes for a bit of bling.

For the background to the city, I blended Distress Oxide inks onto white card…

…before stamping and heat embossing the fireworks from My Favourite Things ‘Fireworks’ stamp set.

Next, I cut the strips to provide the pop-up mechanism and cut out the corresponding sections from the back layer of the city scene.

The other two layers were added and then the whole piece was glued onto the card base.

To neaten the front edge, I added a road.  Here you can see the dimension of the pop-up.

For these pop-up cards, I tend to keep it simple on the front as it’s the inside that’s the main event.

So, here’s the finished card, complete with lampposts!

And a close up.

Floral Frame

Well, it doesn’t seem like a year since I was creating an anniversary card for my parents’ golden wedding but clearly it is, so it’s also time to create another one!   I had in my mind a floral frame featuring dandelion silhouettes with some lettering on top.  It was clearly a job for the Cricut.

I started in Design Space by adding various dandelion, floral and leaf elements and arranging and rearranging them into a square to create my background floral frame.

Next, I added two cut out sections so that my letters would stand out more and then added the text.  I went for a bouncy alignment as this allowed the words to be cut as whole pieces (more or less!).  I then cut out the frame and two white versions of the sentiments.

I also cut a purple version of the sentiment for the top layer.

The reason for the white layers was to build up dimension so the sentiment stood proud of the frame.  I glued the two white sentiments onto the frame and then stuck the purple one on top.  This was the fiddliest job of the lot!

To add some extra glitz, I went over the lettering with some sparkly glue and left it to dry.  This gave some shine and a bit of sparkle whilst not overpowering the look of the card.  Some rhinestones and enamel hearts finished the card and I added some dandelions and hearts cut from leftover vinyl to the envelope.