Baby Bear

I loved making this week’s card for our friend that had her first baby recently.  I don’t have a lot of use for stamps aimed at making children’s cards but I bought the Baby Bear set as you’re never too old for a teddy bear!  This is a retired stamp set but I’ve kept mine as I really like that bear and how he comes to life with the three layers of ink.  I’ve also got a couple of handy tips on repeat stamping and extending the use of dies.

This was a bigger card than usual as I wanted it to be a square Z-fold card.  I fancied a gingham style background but didn’t have anything in my stash that was pink so used the Buffalo Check background stamp and some Rococo Rose ink.  The stamp was a little small for my background so I used the Stamparatus to do some repeat stamping.  I first stamped the check background and marked an arrow on my grid paper where the edge of the stamp came to.  Next, I moved the card so that the left-hand edge of the stamped image lined up with the arrow (1) and then stamped again (2).   This then gave me a bigger stamped image to centre my cut out.

Next, I stamped the three bear images in 1. Sahara Sand, 2. Crumb Cake and 3. Early Espresso.

To add a bit of extra dimension to him, I applied some fine-tipped glue to his nose and eyes and set aside to dry.  This gave his eyes and nose a shiny finish.

I used the sentiments from the set and a stitched rectangle die.  This worked fine for the first sentiment but was too short for the second.  However, a way to get more from your dies is to only partially cut the die by lining up the top cutting plate before the end of the die.  The Big Shot won’t cut where there’s no top plate leaving a partially cut shape.  Then simply move the die to the end of the sentiment and repeat the process on the other end of the die.

I mounted the pieces on a Rococo Rose base layer, the gingham layer and the bear on top, adorned with a pink bow.

The inside was layered the same way.  Here’s the bird’s eye view of the finished Z-fold.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

 

 

 

Hello Cupcake!

My challenge to myself this week was to make a card using colours that I don’t normally reach for.  I like purple, grey, green and blue so tend to use those frequently and the other colours don’t get a look in. So, I decided to use some new purchases: Bermuda Bay, Lovely Lipstick and Sahara Sand.  I also used Very Vanilla cardstock too instead of my usual white, together with my new Buffalo Check background stamp and one of my prizes from a couple of weeks ago, Hello Cupcake.

The biggest job was working out the dimensions of the parts of the card as this is my first one of this design.  Once that was complete, the actual card only took about 15 minutes to create so it’s a great option for putting into card packs or making multiples.

For this card I used:

Sahara Sand:  card base4⅛” x 8⅝” (scored at 5¾”) and mat layer 4¼” x 2¾”

Very Vanilla: liner 5½” x 3⅞”, card front 4” x 2½”, mat layer 2⅝” x 3⅞” (you could use some DSP for this piece instead), sentiment 1¾” x 2”

First, I did all the stamping.  I did change my mind about the sentiment colour when it came to assembling the card as the Bermuda Bay didn’t stand out enough and had to stamp again using Lovely Lipstick – you can’t always tell these things until you’re at that stage!

I stamped the sprinkles down the liner edge and used the blender pen and some ink from the pad to colour them and then stamped the heart in pink to add a little pop of colour.

Once all the stamping was done, it was simply a case of sticking the pieces into place.

I fussy cut the icing so that I could pop it up on dimensionals.

On the smallest piece I cut the end using the Triple Banner Punch and then stamped the sentiment and cut it to size.  It seemed a little bare so I found an offcut of ribbon in a complimentary colour to wrap around the top.  This was adhered using dimensionals.

And that’s all there is to it!

 

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!