Scrappy Strips

This is a handy technique for using up those old bits of DSP you’ve got lying around after finishing other projects.  However, you can also just use coloured card or even a single colour card that’s been textured with embossing folders.

To begin, I cut a bunch of wonky strips – ones where the edges aren’t parallel.   The strips need to be longer than the card panel you’re sticking them to.  As I was making a single colour, I added texture to my strips by using a variety of embossing folders.

It’s not entirely necessary but makes life a lot easier to have a non-stick sheet to put the card layer on that the strips will be stuck to.  This is because the strip overhang will have glue on and will stick to anything underneath.  I roughly planned out my strip arrangement and began to glue them in place, leaving a small gap between each strip.

After the glue dried, I turned my card over and trimmed the strips with scissors, using the edge of the card panel as my guide.

I layered my strippy panel on a Champagne foil sheet but ‘gutted’ it first so as not to waste the inner portion and then mounted onto my card base.

The last step is to add the sentiment and any decorative elements.  I cut some leaf shapes using the Forever Flourishing dies from the gutted piece of Champagne foil and stamped some foliage images on the liner and envelope.

I also made another card using the Playful Pets DSP together with some blank card strips to tone down the patterns.  The dog is cut from the DSP using one of the Pampered Pets dies.

It really changes up the look using different card and paper and creates fun, unique backgrounds.

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

 

A Week of Firsts

Here we are at the end of the 4th week of lockdown in the UK and it’s presented me with a few firsts.  My first new experience was to cut Mr L’s hair! Now, I’ve never cut anyone’s hair before but I’ve watched our hairdresser cut Mr L’s hair many times.  She makes it look so easy.  It isn’t!  It took me a while but we got there in the end and Mr L still has both ears!

#covidhaircut

My second ‘first’ was to attempt to make naan breads.  I’d made my favourite dhal recipe when I noticed a naan bread recipe in the same book and, since we had all the ingredients, I though I’d have a bash.  They were not quite like the restaurant ones but were delicious nonetheless.

My third ‘first’ was an introduction to a technique called Inlaid Embossing.  Amanda (from Inspiring Inkin’) showed this on her Facebook crafting group this week and it looked interesting.

To begin, I used the ½”, ¾” and 1” circle punches to cut a mix of circles in 3 coordinating colours.

These were glued randomly onto my mat layer and any overhanging edges trimmed off.

I then put the pieces into embossing folders and ran them through the Big Shot to create a textured background.

I didn’t want to overwhelm the background as that was the main feature so I used some polka dot ribbon and a butterfly from Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Gala.

My second card featured burlap ribbon and a tree from Rooted in Nature.

 

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Floral Frame

Well, it doesn’t seem like a year since I was creating an anniversary card for my parents’ golden wedding but clearly it is, so it’s also time to create another one!   I had in my mind a floral frame featuring dandelion silhouettes with some lettering on top.  It was clearly a job for the Cricut.

I started in Design Space by adding various dandelion, floral and leaf elements and arranging and rearranging them into a square to create my background floral frame.

Next, I added two cut out sections so that my letters would stand out more and then added the text.  I went for a bouncy alignment as this allowed the words to be cut as whole pieces (more or less!).  I then cut out the frame and two white versions of the sentiments.

I also cut a purple version of the sentiment for the top layer.

The reason for the white layers was to build up dimension so the sentiment stood proud of the frame.  I glued the two white sentiments onto the frame and then stuck the purple one on top.  This was the fiddliest job of the lot!

To add some extra glitz, I went over the lettering with some sparkly glue and left it to dry.  This gave some shine and a bit of sparkle whilst not overpowering the look of the card.  Some rhinestones and enamel hearts finished the card and I added some dandelions and hearts cut from leftover vinyl to the envelope.