At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.
To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut. It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice. After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.
Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals. Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.
The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.
I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.
This week, I learned that a technique that I’ve been using for years actually has a name! It’s called the Faux Torn technique, as the finished card looks like it has a torn strip of patterned paper stuck to the card when it’s actually an inked panel. It’s very simple to do and a change of the inked colours or stamped images completely alters the look.
To begin, I tore the edges off the sticky edge of a post-it note although torn copier paper will do just fine too.
Next, I blended two or three complementary colours into the torn gap, followed by some simple stamping.
Lastly, I added a greeting and mounted the card on layers to match the blended colours.
This is another version done in different colours and stamp.
For this card, rather than just simple stamping, I heat embossed the design and then used the Subtle embossing folder for some texture.
My last card was a card for my in-laws’ 40th wedding anniversary. I repeated the torn panel to cover more of the card background.
Four cards, each with a completely different look!
There are lots of rainbows around at the moment, not the meteorological kind but ones created to celebrate the work of the NHS during the pandemic. This made me think of doing a rainbow-themed card for my blog this week. I used the leaf cluster from Rooted in Nature as my feature image whilst the large sentiment from the same set was the focal point.
To begin, I stamped the sentiment just left of centre.
Next, I stamped the leaf image seven times, changing between the rainbow colours each time.
Since I had decided to use a Pacific Point card base, I decorated the liner and envelope with the leaves stamped in the same colour.
To complete the card, the front panel was mounted on a black layer before being adhered to the card base.
Well, it doesn’t seem like a year since I was creating an anniversary card for my parents’ golden wedding but clearly it is, so it’s also time to create another one! I had in my mind a floral frame featuring dandelion silhouettes with some lettering on top. It was clearly a job for the Cricut.
I started in Design Space by adding various dandelion, floral and leaf elements and arranging and rearranging them into a square to create my background floral frame.
Next, I added two cut out sections so that my letters would stand out more and then added the text. I went for a bouncy alignment as this allowed the words to be cut as whole pieces (more or less!). I then cut out the frame and two white versions of the sentiments.
I also cut a purple version of the sentiment for the top layer.
The reason for the white layers was to build up dimension so the sentiment stood proud of the frame. I glued the two white sentiments onto the frame and then stuck the purple one on top. This was the fiddliest job of the lot!
To add some extra glitz, I went over the lettering with some sparkly glue and left it to dry. This gave some shine and a bit of sparkle whilst not overpowering the look of the card. Some rhinestones and enamel hearts finished the card and I added some dandelions and hearts cut from leftover vinyl to the envelope.
Happy New Year! I hope that you had a good time over the festive season. I was working a night shift on New Year’s Eve but since I was working with Mr L, it was OK. This week I’ve been playing with my new toy I had for Christmas – one of those ‘To me, from me’ gifts!! It’s a Cricut Maker cutting machine. After my friend lent me hers for a couple of weeks, I had to have one. I started by cutting out some vinyl letters to put on the festive radiator bed I made for Leia. So cute!
There’s a lot to learn to get the most out of it, in particular how to use the Design Space to create the projects. To practice ‘slicing’, I decided to make some window templates for my card making. The beauty of this is that the shapes can be lined up and cut accurately. I tried the template with circles, squares, hearts, stars and rectangles.
For my card, I used the square template and applied Blackberry Bliss ink with a sponge dauber.
Once the ink was dry, I stamped the skeleton leaf from the Rooted in Nature bundle with Versamark, applied silver embossing powder and heat set it.
The sentiment was added and the front mounted onto a Blackberry Bliss card base. The leaf was stamped onto the liner and envelope.
I used the cut outs to make my other card, using a different leaf from the set, heat embossed using copper embossing powder and mounted onto Mint Macaron squares.