Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Holy Crap!

A very dear friend of mine had a milestone birthday recently so I wanted to make him a special, one-off, kind of a card.  I had a quick surf on Pinterest and saw this idea and knew immediately that it would perfect!

I wanted my ‘bathroom wall’ to comprise 2 parts; a wallpapered top and a wood panelled bottom, so began by selecting some patterned paper for my wallpaper and dry embossing some card for the wood panelling.

Next, I needed to make a miniature toilet roll… like you do. I used a straightened-out paper clip for the holder and glued a small tube of brown card around and bent the wire at 90° either end of the tube.

Actual toilet paper was then cut into strips and glued onto the tube and wound around until I had the desired thickness of toilet roll.

I punched a couple of tiny holes into my wood panelling and inserted the wires, bending and securing them on the reverse side.

The writing was next.  I had planned on using die-cut lettering but all my die sets were too big.  Then, I tried hand lettering but the finish on the paper made the ink patchy.  That left heat embossing.  I used my Stamparatus stamp positioning tool and a ‘test stamp’ to ensure my letters were aligned correctly….

….before heat embossing the lettering onto my ‘wallpaper’ using Versamark ink and silver embossing powder.

I cut the numbers from silver glitter paper and cut 2 circles, one from silver foil card and the other from some mercury acetate as I wanted the circle to look like an ageing mirror.  A couple of brads were poked through to resemble the mirror fittings.

The top layers were mounted, using thin foam adhesive to hide the wires behind, on a mat layer and card-base, the colours of which were taken from the patterned paper.  A thin silver card ‘dado rail’ finished off the join.

Lastly, I had to make a box rather than an envelope for the card so the toilet roll didn’t get squashed.

I think this card and the bottle of anti-ageing moisturiser gave him a laugh!

 

Frosted Floral Farewell

It’s time for the new Stampin’ Up! catalogue and I’m sad to say that a lot of my favourites are out ☹ Two of my faves are the First Frost stamp set and coordinating Frosted Bouquet dies.  Whilst these will be disappearing from the catalogue, they’ll not be leaving my personal collection any time soon.  There are two cards on the post this week, the second one was inspired by the liner of the first! Just goes to show that inspiration comes from all sorts of places.

First, I stamped and die cut a selection of flower and leaf images and heat embossed the sentiment on a pretty label punch.

Elements from First Frost

I repeat stamped the thistle image on a Mint Macaron card front and dry embossed with the Layered Leaves.  At this point, I realised that the card base wouldn’t be sturdy enough so I cut it down to make the front panel of my card.

Mint Macaron card and ink.

The next job was to arrange the flowers and foliage elements around the sentiment to create my focal image.

I stamped the liner and envelope by stamping the flower and then masked the flower to stamp the leaf image.

To break up the card front, I attached a strip of burlap ribbon onto a strip of Lovely Lipstick and then mounted the focal on top.  The panel was then mounted onto a Lovely Lipstick card base to make a very colourful creation.

Whilst I was making the liner for the above card, I really liked the liner so decided to make a card using that design. I repeat stamped the flower and then masked the images whilst I stamped the foliage between.  To finish, I added a few rhinestones.

Unfortunately, when I posted these two cards, the minute I’d dropped them in the postbox, I realised that I forgot to put stamps on the envelopes.  Doh!

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!