Snowflake Shaker

One of the dies in the So Many Snowflakes cuts out a stitched window, which is crying out to be made into a shaker card!  To make the scene through the window, I used the Snow Front stamp set.

The first job was to cut out the window.  I eyeballed the position of the die to get it more or less in the centre.

As my cutting plates are somewhat manky, the card was marked a little so I ran it through the Winter Snow embossing folder to disguise the marks.  Remember to stamp the sentiment before embossing!

Next, I stamped my scene onto a smaller piece of card.  I drew around the die lightly to help with positioning my scene and erased the pencil marks afterwards.  Although the scene is navy in this picture, I changed my mind and did another in Basic Grey – to avoid any confusion in the later photos!

To make the shaker element, I glued a piece of acetate onto the back of the window and then applied foam strips around the window.  It’s important that the strips meet up snuggly to prevent the sequins or glitter escaping!  I added another layer of foam around the edge of the card ready for mounting onto the card.  Lastly, I removed the backing paper, added the sequins into the window area and positioned the scene, pressing down well.

The shaker was mounted on a Basic Grey layer and then onto a Smoky Slate card base.

In case you can’t be bothered with making a shaker card, the idea works equally well without as just a simple 3D window card.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

 

Playful Pets

We share our home with two rescue cats, one is very playful, the other is quite lazy.  Monty likes to sit in a shady spot and watch the world go by, occasionally coming over for a quick head rub.  Leia, on the other hand, goes everywhere at break-neck speed and is a prolific hunter.  During one of her recent outings, she came back with her eye closed and we could see what looked like a thick hair protruding from her eye but couldn’t get it out, so off we went to the out-of-hours emergency vet.  Now, Leia does not travel well! During the 25-minute journey in her crate, she had a wee, a poo, was sick and then had copious amounts of drool hanging down each side of her face.   We presented her, in the socially distanced handover in the vet’s car park, with a description of the emergency and an embarrassed apology for the state of the cat/crate!  I’m sure they’ve seen it all before….

Anyway, 45 mins later, a rather quiet Leia was given back to us together with this massive grass seed that the vet had taken out of her eye.  OUCH!

Thankfully, Leia is now fully recovered and back to zooming everywhere at high speed again.

I wanted a cat-themed card for my friend who runs a cat rescue charity (link below) so I used Pampered Pets, a new set in the Stampin’ Up! Annual catalogue that comes with matching dies and a suite of other coordinating goodies.  I used the Playful Pets DSP for my project along with the Tailored Tag punch, cutting a bunch of different papers together with some stamped images, stamped on Basic Grey card using the Nine Lives stamps (retired).

I next set them out on my backing piece and then glued them in place.

I stamped one of the cat images and coloured him with alcohol markers before cutting out with the matching die.  I attached him to a tag piece that I’d stamped with my greeting and then put dimensionals on the back.

To decorate the liner and envelope, I cut the paw prints from a scrap of card and used it as a stencil.

To bring the card together, I mounted the decorated panel onto a black mat layer and then onto a Real Red card base.  I glued a length of the red trim around the front of the card and then put my kitty and greeting in place.   

If you’re interested in finding out more about the work of The Cat Welfare Group, here’s a link to their new website.

http://www.thecatwelfaregroup.com

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

Rainbow Butterfly Beauty

The Stampin’ Up! Butterfly Beauty die set has everything you need to cut out lots of butterflies.  I particularly like the two large dies that can be used individually or layered on top of each other.

I started by cutting out the two layers in Whisper White and Lovely Lipstick and stuck them together. 

To add further dimension and interest, I added Dimensionals on the back…

…and then mounted the whole thing on a Smoky Slate layer embossed with the Layered Leaves (retired) embossing folder and then onto a Basic Grey cardbase.

After making this card, I wondered how it would work making an inlaid butterfly, like I did previously with the retired (sniff!) dragonfly from the Detailed Dragonfly die set.  As you’ve probably realised about me by now, I like a bit of ink blending so I inked up a panel in a rainbow palette. 

Top tip for these dies: stick some double sided craft adhesive sheet on the back of your card before die cutting – it saves faffing about trying to apply glue to tiny pieces or thin strips of card.

Using Basic Black card, I cut out each of the two butterfly dies.  The first one, I used black for the back layer and cut the top butterfly layer from the rainbow panel.  I mounted this on a thick Whisper White cardbase that I had embossed with the planks embossing folder (also now retired!).

Then came to my butterfly rainbow jigsaw!  So, this turned out to be much more of a faff that I had anticipated….locating all those tiny pieces.

I stuck the black butterfly top layer onto a white mat and then inserted all the pieces into their matching holes.  This was then mounted on a Basic Black card base.  It was a very fiddly operation and, to be honest, I’m not sure I’d do another one.  However, the finished card looks super! 

 

 

 

Images ©2019 Stampin’ Up!