Flower Shadow Box

At the end of last month, my in-laws celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.  I had seen these box frame projects on Pinterest and wanted to make one in reds and purples since traditionally 40 years is a ruby anniversary.

To begin, I downloaded a flower file and cut it out on my Cricut.  It was a bit large to fit under the glass but a good practice.  After scaling it down to fit, I then cut out 25 flower templates in a mix of red, pink and purple card.

Flower templates cut from Stampin’ Up! card in Real Red, Lovely Lipstick, Melon Mambo, Cherry Cobbler, Blackberry Bliss and Rich Razzleberry

Using my bone folder, I gently curved the first 3 petals and then, using my tweezers, started rolling up the petals.  Once rolled, I released the tension slightly until the flower was the right size and then glued the base on with my hot glue gun.

The next stage was to cover the back of the shadow box with white card and then glue the flowers in place.

I used Cricut’s Design Space to make my vinyl decal, which was stuck onto the front of the glass, and then assembled the box frame.

 

Pretty Piano

Whilst surfing around on Pinterest the other day, I saw a really cool easel card in the shape of a grand piano.  I was looking for ideas for an anniversary card for Mr L and was planning on using Stampin’ Up! Music From The Heart so this fancy fold was the perfect match.  Most grand pianos I’ve seen are black but I made mine cream, well Vanilla actually!

After I’d cut out my card base and a 5½” square piece for the piano lid, I set to work making the keyboard.  I cut 10 pieces of Whisper White card ½” wide for the white keys and 7 pieces of Basic Black card ¼” wide for the black keys  I glued the white keys onto a piece of black card and then fixed the black notes on with foam strips as these would form the ‘stopper’ for my easel.

Next, I repeat stamped the wavy keyboard image onto the top of the front section of my easel card base.  This would only really be visible when the card was closed.

I stamped the treble clef, stave and some notes on a scrap of Very Vanilla and backed this with a piece of gold glimmer paper to make the music stand.  To make it more decorative, I added a section punched from the Pretty Label punch at the top.

Now for the piano lid.  To make an approximation of the lid shape, I punched a circle with my 2¼” punch from the top right corner and then used scissors to straighten out the edges.  Next, I stamped my sentiment added a red enamel heart.  I didn’t think the piano was looking particularly grand so I die cut two flourishes (from the Detailed Deer) from gold card and glued them in place.

Finally, to assemble, I glued the lid onto the bottom half of the front of the card base and glued the music stand in place.  This is what the card looks like when it’s closed.

Inside, I layered Basic Black and Real Red and added my decorated inner.  The envelope was also stamped with various images from the set.

Here’s my finished pretty piano card.

 

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!

 

Floral Frame

Well, it doesn’t seem like a year since I was creating an anniversary card for my parents’ golden wedding but clearly it is, so it’s also time to create another one!   I had in my mind a floral frame featuring dandelion silhouettes with some lettering on top.  It was clearly a job for the Cricut.

I started in Design Space by adding various dandelion, floral and leaf elements and arranging and rearranging them into a square to create my background floral frame.

Next, I added two cut out sections so that my letters would stand out more and then added the text.  I went for a bouncy alignment as this allowed the words to be cut as whole pieces (more or less!).  I then cut out the frame and two white versions of the sentiments.

I also cut a purple version of the sentiment for the top layer.

The reason for the white layers was to build up dimension so the sentiment stood proud of the frame.  I glued the two white sentiments onto the frame and then stuck the purple one on top.  This was the fiddliest job of the lot!

To add some extra glitz, I went over the lettering with some sparkly glue and left it to dry.  This gave some shine and a bit of sparkle whilst not overpowering the look of the card.  Some rhinestones and enamel hearts finished the card and I added some dandelions and hearts cut from leftover vinyl to the envelope.