Butterfly Floating Window

You may remember the Christmas floating window card from a post back in September 2020.  This time, I thought I’d try it out in portrait layout.  As the acetate panel is larger than in landscape format, it’s a bit flimsy but this problem can be remedied by adding a decorative element on top, joining all three sections together.

My card base was my standard size of 11½” x 4¼”, scored at 5¾.  I then cut off 1½” off the bottom and cut the card base at 1½” after the score line.  I used some (retired) mercury acetate for the window and cut some mats for the small card sections.

For my decorative element, I die cut the SU! Butterfly Beauty dies using white for the base layer and the retired Lovely Lipstick foil for the top layer to really make the butterflies pop.

After dry embossing the green mat layer, I assembled the card base, gluing down the mats and attaching the acetate behind.

I added some layers inside and embossed the envelope flap with the same embossing folder as I’d used on the front of the card.

As I said at the beginning, the card is quite flimsy at this stage so the butterflies need to be adhered to the top and bottom of the card and also to the acetate to give some structure.  I used double sided tape for the acetate and glue for the top and bottom.  My tip for where to place the glue is to position the butterfly face down on the card, roughly where it’s going to be and then you can clearly see which bits can be glued to the card.

The sentiment is from Itty Bitty Birthday and doesn’t quite fit in the Classic Label punch so I had to fussy cut it.  However, I was making two of these cards and was determined not to be beaten so I stamped the sentiment again, this time stamping one word at a time and… ta-da!… it can now be punched out with the Classic Label punch.

Images © 2021 Stampin’ Up!

Blended Bunnies

We don’t usually send many Easter cards but with the mad year we’ve had and not being able to see people in person for so long, it seemed a good way to let people know we’re thinking of them.  Since I don’t have a lot of use for Easter cards, I only have one stamp set and that has been sent to everyone already so I needed some fresh material! Hello Cricut! I found a free SVG file from Craft House, cut out some bunnies and tails and created this card.

Whilst weeding the vinyl and seeing the outline of the bunnies, it occurred to me that I could make a stencil of the bunnies.  So, I created multiple bunnies in Design Space, arranged and sized them for my card and cut out two stencils from acetate – one for the bunnies and one for the tails!

Using my new blending brushes, I added pastel colours to the bunnies through the stencil.

Once the bunnies were complete, I added the tails using white pigment ink.  Unfortunately, this didn’t show up as much as I thought it would so I went over the tails again and added white embossing powder which, when heat set, showed up much better.  Embossing paste would probably work well too.

One of my cards was an ombre and on the other, I tried to colour each bunny separately. Some of the ink did get onto the adjacent bunnies but they still look OK.

Inspired by the bunny stencil, I then made another stencil, this time of Easter eggs and blended the same colours into the gaps.

For added decoration, I used my white gel pen to make simple patterns on the eggs.

This stencil had a nice gap in which to stamp the greeting.

I’m so happy with how these cards turned out and I love the blended pastel colours too!

Festive Floating Window

I saw this card style on a YouTube video by Scrimpingmommy and thought it’d be fun to try.  As it transpired, I got completely carried away with it and made 4 bases ready for decorating!  I used Stampin’ Up! Perfectly Plaid, Stitched Stars and Brightly Gleaming for my decorative elements.  Although I’ve made Christmas cards, this style of card can be used for any occasion.

My card bases are 5¾” x 8¼”, a little less than half a sheet of cardstock, and scored at 4⅛”.  For this card, the front needs to be cut into three so I cut mine equally at 1⅜”.  For the window section, I cut a piece of acetate 1¾” wide by a smidge under 5¾”.  I discarded the centre portion and applied thin adhesive tape to the top and bottom edges of the acetate.

Next, I cut some layers from card and DSP to decorate the top and bottom panels of the card.

The easiest way to line up the acetate panel is to clip the bottom section to the card base, line up the acetate with the edges of the card and overlapping the bottom section.

Holding the acetate in position, I removed the backing paper from the adhesive and folded the top section of the card down into place.  I then removed the clips and stuck the bottom section into position.  That completed the floating window card base.  Once you’ve got your card ‘recipe’ sorted, you can knock these out in record time!

I decorated the liner with the same card and DSP.

Now for the decorative elements.  I only applied glue to the sections that would be on the card so that a gluey mess wouldn’t be visible through the acetate.  Firstly, Brightly Gleaming ornaments with copper embossing powder.

Mossy Meadow, Cherry Cobbler and Very Vanilla cardstock with Brightly Gleaming DSP and Christmas Gleaming stamps

Next was the Stitched Stars using Copper Foil paper.

Night of Navy, Whisper White cardstock, Copper Foil and Brightly Gleaming DSP.

Snowflake Splendour DSP with silver heat embossed trees from Perfectly Plaid.

Misty Moonlight and Night of Navy cardstock, Snowflake Splendour DSP and Perfectly Plaid trees. I used the (retired) mercury acetate on this for a snowy background.

Lastly, my favourite, Brightly Gleaming DSP with copper heat embossed trees.

Pretty Peacock and Very Vanilla cardstock with Brightly Gleaming DSP and Perfectly Plaid trees.

I hope you give these a try.  They’re really fun to make and look stunning!

 

Images © 2020 Stampin’ Up!