Fond Farewell

These days, when you buy a voucher for someone, particularly if it’s purchased online, you get an emailed voucher for you to print out.  Giving someone a sheet of paper for a gift is not very inspiring!  So, when my friend and colleague, Stu, retired recently, I was asked to create a presentation folder for said sheet of paper.  Inspired by the London skyline pop-up card I made my friend a few weeks ago, I decided to try an air traffic pop-up card.  I made it airfield themed, even though we are Area Controllers, as an Area Control building is not quite as interesting or recognisable as a control tower!

First, for the front of the card, I repeat stamped and heat embossed the bi-plane and clouds from Avery Elle’s ‘Fly By’ stamp set and stacked several die-cut ‘congrats’.  I popped one of the bi-planes up on foam tape.

To begin the inside, I cut out a control tower, some random airport buildings, a city skyline, some fighter aircraft, smoke trails, an airliner and my sentiment using my Cricut Maker.

I used my homemade cloud stencil and ink blending brushes to create a sky background for the fighter planes.

The display aircraft, smoke trails, greeting and city skyline were cut from vinyl and stuck onto the background.

After cutting the card to create the pop-up mechanism, I attached the airport buildings as the central layer and the control tower as the front.

Stu had done an Open University course and part of that included a project for running his own airline, which he’d named Skylark, hence the Skylark airliner parked by the tower.

Finally, where to put the sheet of paper containing the voucher?  Since an airfield is not complete without a runway, I thought a lift up runway would be just the job for a voucher holder.  Using the Cricut Maker again, I cut some piano keys (the white stripes at the start of the runway), some centreline markers and numbers for the runway designation.  Runways are named according to the compass bearing, rounded to the nearest 10˚, so I used Stu’s 34 years in air traffic to make Runway 34.  I popped a tiny magnet under the end of the runway to keep it down.

Enjoy your retirement Stu!

Pop-Up Celebration Card

There are a few ‘big’ birthdays this year (myself included!) so I’ve been trying to think of celebratory cards.  I often use this die set for New Year’s cards and it makes great pop-up cards.

First, I die cut the 3 scenes and added some glitter paper behind the holes for a bit of bling.

For the background to the city, I blended Distress Oxide inks onto white card…

…before stamping and heat embossing the fireworks from My Favourite Things ‘Fireworks’ stamp set.

Next, I cut the strips to provide the pop-up mechanism and cut out the corresponding sections from the back layer of the city scene.

The other two layers were added and then the whole piece was glued onto the card base.

To neaten the front edge, I added a road.  Here you can see the dimension of the pop-up.

For these pop-up cards, I tend to keep it simple on the front as it’s the inside that’s the main event.

So, here’s the finished card, complete with lampposts!

And a close up.

Slider Pop-Up

This week’s post features a great interactive card, the slider pop-up.  It does what it says on the tin – you slide it and it pops up!  I made this following using a Jennifer McGuire YouTube tutorial for the mechanism and MFT Make A Wish stamps and dies.

First, I cut my card base and layers.  My white layer is the same size as the card front and the checked DSP is ⅜” smaller.  Into the white and checked pieces, I cut a flap, that will be the pop-up element, using my paper trimmer. Another option for this is to use a rectangle die and partial die cutting.  I scored the remaining side of the rectangle and also across the middle of the flap. I cut a hole in the checked piece to make a frame.

After embossing the sentiment, I glued the check DSP onto the white layer before marking the opening of the flap onto the front of the card base. 

This line is to show where to stamp the inside element.  I went for a fun phrase that I had to mask.  The sentiment is quite wide so I stamped in sections, masking out the parts I didn’t want using post-it notes.

The next job was to finish the card front.  I die cut some candles from fancy paper which I glued to white card candles to make them sturdy.  The candles were completed by adding yellow flames and small hearts for the base of the flame.  The centre candles were only glued to the portion of the flap below the fold line to allow them to pop-up.  I also added another sentiment on a flagged banner, only attached to the central candles.

Next was to make the pull tab for the pop up.  This is a piece of card ¾” wider than the window opening and slightly longer than the card, scored at ½” along one of the short edges.  I marked the width of the window opening and trimmed the excess card on the corners of the folded section, then applied adhesive and glued this onto the back of the front flap.

The pull tab is on the left and the folding pop-up section is on the right

Once the slider tab is pulled, some of the tab will be visible so can be decorated.  I stamped some more candles on this, rounded the corners and wrote ‘PULL’ on the top. 

Whilst I was stamping candles, I stamped one on the envelope and onto the card liner.

The final stage is to assemble the card.  Jennifer uses foam tape but I didn’t have any so I applied 3 layers of adhesive tape which seemed enough to create the channel for the tab to slide through.

Here is the finished card…

And when the slide is pulled…