Today is Father’s Day in the UK so I’m sharing my cards that I made for my Dad and Father-in-Law. I wanted to use the cute bear from the stamp set ‘Happy Day’ from the Colorado Craft Company – I thought it’d be a great focal image for a masculine card.
First, I stamped the bears using Versafine black ink, which is waterproof once it’s dry, and then water-coloured them. One was a hairy bear, the other a more smooth coated bear! I cut them down into slim panels.
Next was my mat layer and background for my bear panels. I used Stampin’ Up! Snow Front and Waterfront stamp sets to create the mountain and forest backgrounds. Whilst these are a different illustrative style to the bear, they fit nicely with the bear’s habitat.
For my sentiment, I used Lawn Fawn’s Happy Happy Happy, heat embossed with copper powder. I triple stacked the ‘happy’ die cuts for a little extra dimension.
Here are my final cards. I stamped the card liner and envelope with the tree stamp and added a gold rhinestone onto the centre on the flower.
I’ve been painting this week; a Valentine’s card for Mr L and an actual picture! There are some wonderful YouTube tutorials available for beginner painters and I’m a big fan of Karen Rice’s paintings, style and teaching.
My card was a line and wash using another Anita Jeram stamp. Those rabbits are so cute! I lifted out the paint in the sky to create the heart shaped clouds.
When I die cut the panel, I had to use the partial die cutting technique and the die marked the panel so I had to add the ribbon, which unfortunately hides most of the cloud.
I decorated the envelope using a white gel pen.
My painting was done following Karen Rice’s Silver Birch Trees Step By Step video. I was first drawn to this particular tutorial because there’s no drawing involved. The trees are masked using strips of tape (I used framing tape) and then the first stage of painting is done over the top.
There are some fun techniques to try during the painting. Here’s a close up of the salt starting to do it’s magic, creating the spidery textures, and the grasses created by scraping the paint with the corner of a plastic card.
Once the paint had dried, I brushed off the salt and added some spatters in white and yellow for impressions of wild flowers. When this was dry, I removed the tape to reveal my trees.
The next stage was to bring the trees to life. First, the dark marks on the trunks were added in a random pattern, which I found is actually harder than it seems. When they were dry, I added the shadows to the right side of the trunks to indicate that the light is coming from the left. I inadvertently did some dry brush technique, which really helped to add texture to the trunks. The last task was to add some grasses to soften the hard edges at the bottom of the trunks.
I really enjoyed doing this painting and trying out the fun techniques along the way.
This year, I’m hoping to avoid that hectic period of Christmas card making in early December. It’s not always very enjoyable as it gets super stressful and is not really what I want out of my crafting time. I’m in a crafting Facebook group where they have a reminder at the beginning of the month to make a few Christmas cards so I thought I’d share the ones I made for this month. Only two, so not a big dent in the ‘to do’ pile but you’ve got to start somewhere!
As I’m learning watercolour, I’m trying out a line and wash technique. Usually, this is done by drawing your scene in waterproof ink but (since I can’t draw) I stamped mine with these new Anita Jeram (of ‘Guess How Much I Love You’ illustrative fame) stamps.
I started by painting the sky and adding a little salt whilst the paint was wet. This gives lovely texture that looks a little icy.
My colour scheme for the card base was inspired by another lady in the group. I love seeing other people’s ideas as I would never have thought about using lime green for a Christmas card but by adding that colour to the scarf, it gives a really cohesive look. I added a little more interest to my card bases by stamping a distressed stripe background stamp in the same ink as the card stock.
The scenes were cut out using a stitched rectangle die and simply glued on the card front.
They’re completely flat cards too so easy to post.