Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

Valentine Watercolour

I’ve been painting this week; a Valentine’s card for Mr L and an actual picture! There are some wonderful YouTube tutorials available for beginner painters and I’m a big fan of Karen Rice’s paintings, style and teaching.

My card was a line and wash using another Anita Jeram stamp.  Those rabbits are so cute! I lifted out the paint in the sky to create the heart shaped clouds.

When I die cut the panel, I had to use the partial die cutting technique and the die marked the panel so I had to add the ribbon, which unfortunately hides most of the cloud. 

I decorated the envelope using a white gel pen.

My painting was done following Karen Rice’s Silver Birch Trees Step By Step video.  I was first drawn to this particular tutorial because there’s no drawing involved.  The trees are masked using strips of tape (I used framing tape) and then the first stage of painting is done over the top. 

There are some fun techniques to try during the painting.  Here’s a close up of the salt starting to do it’s magic, creating the spidery textures, and the grasses created by scraping the paint with the corner of a plastic card.

Once the paint had dried, I brushed off the salt and added some spatters in white and yellow for impressions of wild flowers.  When this was dry, I removed the tape to reveal my trees.

The next stage was to bring the trees to life.  First, the dark marks on the trunks were added in a random pattern, which I found is actually harder than it seems. When they were dry, I added the shadows to the right side of the trunks to indicate that the light is coming from the left.  I inadvertently did some dry brush technique, which really helped to add texture to the trunks. The last task was to add some grasses to soften the hard edges at the bottom of the trunks.  

I really enjoyed doing this painting and trying out the fun techniques along the way.

Happy New Home

This week, my sister and brother-in-law moved from 120 miles away to ‘cup-of-tea distance’ (7 miles) away!  I haven’t lived this close to my sister for just over 30 years so I’m very happy indeed to have her nearby again.  This week’s post is the new home card that I made for them.

To begin, I cut a house from the Home Together die set a couple of times together with a panel to fit behind the heart hole.  I glued these layers together and added a red glitter heart into the hole.

Next was my background and I used the Detailed Hearts die.  I cut one in white and another in Smoky Slate as I wanted to inlay some of the hearts with white and grey.  This die cuts out loads of hearts – handy for a shaker card!

My greeting was next.  I have no ‘new home’ sentiment stamps and the home related ones I do have say Congrats.  Eugh! – I hate Congrats!!  So, I’d have to make my own.  I wanted to say ‘Happy New Home’ so I used the happy from a happy birthday die.  A quick tip for die cutting.  I’ve had this die for many years.  The more modern dies seem to release easier but this one holds on to the card so well that the cut-out often rips when trying to get it out of the die.  If you have dies like this, add a layer of wax paper between the die and the card and it will release much easier.

For my sentiment panel, I cut out a small rectangle, rounded the corners, adhered the glitter ‘happy’ and then wrote in ‘new home’.  I then glued the house onto the rectangle.

The heart panel was mounted onto a grey card base and the sentiment popped up on foam dimensionals with some silver thread underneath.