This fancy fold card style has lots of dimension and extra wow! when it’s opened and the parts move. It may look a little complicated but it’s not really.
To begin, I cut my card base and a layer of DSP and cut a rectangle from the front of the pair of them, attached together with a little temporary adhesive. The piece of card base will be used later so don’t discard it!
Next, I cut the liner, which is also the mechanism to make the swing fold. Score the card at ¼, ½ and ¾ across the piece and fold ‘mountain-mountain-valley’, as shown in the photo.
Place the liner with the first ‘mountain’ fold facing up into the card front and mark the left-hand side of the hole. Remove the liner and cut away slightly bigger than the hole using either a trimmer or I used the next size up rectangle die and the partial die-cutting technique.
The liner is then glued into the card base by adhering the bit around the cut away to the back of the opening and the last quarter of the lining to the right-hand side of the back of the card base.
After gluing the DSP onto the front, I attached the swing panel, which is the section of card base cut out at step 1. Apply the glue to the swing mechanism only and attach the panel.
Lastly, decorate as you wish!
I used Stampin’ Up! Pampered Pets for my cards.
It’s also possible to make this card in landscape format too and using an oval cut out rather than a rectangle.
I think I’ll try a square version next time to give more space for writing my message.
Sometimes you don’t need the whole picture presented to you, just snippets in spotlights. That was my inspiration for my card this week anyway. I like the Stampin’ Up! Field of Flowers for silhouette images but I’m not keen on the coloured version so I thought I’d play around with it to see how I could use the coloured stamps on a card using the spotlight technique.
I began by stamping the leaves in Mint Macaron and the flowers in Rococo Rose, Highland Heather and So Saffron together with a few dragonflies in Smoky Slate. Then I used various punches to cut circles to make my spotlights.
Next, I made my background by stamping the sentiment and ink blending a few circles using my sponge daubers and my homemade circle mask.
For the liner and envelope, I punched a circle from a post-it note and stamped the images into the hole so that the image would have a circular shape to mirror the spotlights on the fronts.
Lastly, I assembled the card, gluing some spotlights directly onto the card front and raising some up on foam dimensionals, and adding a few rhinestones.
I’m really happy with the results of my experiment!
This is a handy technique for using up those old bits of DSP you’ve got lying around after finishing other projects. However, you can also just use coloured card or even a single colour card that’s been textured with embossing folders.
To begin, I cut a bunch of wonky strips – ones where the edges aren’t parallel. The strips need to be longer than the card panel you’re sticking them to. As I was making a single colour, I added texture to my strips by using a variety of embossing folders.
It’s not entirely necessary but makes life a lot easier to have a non-stick sheet to put the card layer on that the strips will be stuck to. This is because the strip overhang will have glue on and will stick to anything underneath. I roughly planned out my strip arrangement and began to glue them in place, leaving a small gap between each strip.
After the glue dried, I turned my card over and trimmed the strips with scissors, using the edge of the card panel as my guide.
I layered my strippy panel on a Champagne foil sheet but ‘gutted’ it first so as not to waste the inner portion and then mounted onto my card base.
The last step is to add the sentiment and any decorative elements. I cut some leaf shapes using the Forever Flourishing dies from the gutted piece of Champagne foil and stamped some foliage images on the liner and envelope.
I also made another card using the Playful Pets DSP together with some blank card strips to tone down the patterns. The dog is cut from the DSP using one of the Pampered Pets dies.
It really changes up the look using different card and paper and creates fun, unique backgrounds.