A Cricut Challenge

I bought this Nordic ornament stamp last week and I’ve been trying to think of the best way to present it.  It’s about 5¼” across and I don’t have any dies that big.  Also, I wanted it to have the hanger part on the top too so a straight circle die wouldn’t work.  This seemed like a perfect job for the Cricut.

To begin, I stamped the hanger and bow and scanned it in to my computer.  I imported it into Inkscape using a great tutorial from TroyTube on YouTube and then added an offset (the red part) to give me my basic cut-out shape.  I played around with the shape a bit to remove the holes to make the cut-out section sturdier.

Next, I uploaded the finished shape into Cricut Design Space and scaled it to fit the stamped image.  I made the basic card shape by making a circle 5½” diameter and welding the ornament hanger onto the top.  I also sliced a smidge off the bottom so that the card would stand up.  The shape was duplicated and flipped horizontally so that it would be a mirror image and then overlapped the first circle a small amount to give a place for the fold.  A test cut revealed not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

My first card was for a swap in a Facebook group.  I stamped the image in Versamark and heat embossed in white before blending pink, purple and blue inks over.  The embossing resists the ink but gives texture with a lovely blended background.  Lastly, I added some rhinestones on the centre of the snowflakes and a small sentiment.  And a decorated envelope, of course!

I tried the stamp out on other coloured cards to see if it was as effective.  It gave good results whether it was heat embossed or just stamped, although a stamp positioner does help as it’s tricky to get all sections of big stamps to stamp well first time.

White embossing powder on Real Red and gold embossing powder on Shaded Spruce
White embossing powder on Sahara Sand and silver ink on Blackberry Bliss

I hate waste so try to salvage anything that hasn’t gone to plan.  Tags to the rescue!

Pigment Tree Tags

It’s been quite a hectic week for me this week.  After returning relaxed and refreshed from my holiday the previous week, this one has been full on.  It started with a trip to see a consultant about my arm.  We are possibly a stage closer to getting the problem sorted in that the consultant believes that the root cause of my arm pain is actually in my neck.  A course of anti-inflammatory meds and a comprehensive neck mobilisation exercise routine are now under way.  Fingers crossed this will resolve the problem.

I have been at work nearly all week and when I wasn’t, I was in my craft room making stuff for the charity craft event yesterday.  Mr L decided to come along to help at the craft event which made it much more fun for me.  I was really pleased with our stall and even more pleased with the £55 profit we made, all of which we donated to The Cat Welfare Group.

One of my projects this week involved using Stampin’ Up! Pigment Sprinkles.  I sprinkled some of the powders onto watercolour paper and then spritzed with lots of water mixed with a few drops of Shimmer Paint.  It looked a right mess when it was wet, as you can see!

The colours muted a lot once they’d dried and I used the Pine Tree punch to make toppers for my tags.

I decided to use craft card for the background since the tree colours are not very traditional and I thought the craft brown worked better with the trees.  I stamped a variety of snowflakes randomly on the card in Crumb Cake ink.  Next was to trim the pieces into 2” strips and make the holes with the Scalloped Tag Topper Punch.

I heat embossed the sentiment on white card for the snow using copper and gold embossing powder and glued these to the bottom of the tags.  Lastly the trees were stuck on using Dimensionals and some twine added.

I used gold glimmer paper to make another set in the same way.

Another variation on the same theme, these cards used the last of the pigmented paper trees and also some gold and black glimmer paper.

Non-traditional but sometimes it’s good to go a little ‘off-piste’!

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!

Feels Like Frost

Frosted Foliage stamps and the Frosted Frames dies are part of the Feels Like Frost suite in this year’s Autumn/Winter catalogue.  The suite includes Seaside Spray metallic ribbon, chunky glitter and some gorgeous DSP.  I don’t often buy DSP as I never know what to do with it!  This DSP has such beautiful images so I thought I’d challenge myself to use some on a card.

The Frosted Frames don’t actually cut out any of the images from The Frosted Foliage set; they’re more complimentary than coordinating.

I used the large greeting from the set and also the ‘Seasons Greetings’ from So Many Stars.  The snowflakes and foliage stamps were repeat stamped to fill in the blank space surrounding the greetings.  I used silver embossing powder on Whisper White card and on vellum and used the smaller frame to cut them out.

I tried white embossing powder but wasn’t happy with the finish.  The colour was slightly off white and the images weren’t crisp.  I made it into a tag anyway with a Seaside Spray frame and metallic ribbon!

To add some extra interest without detracting from the DSP frame, I stamped the foliage and snowflakes with Versamark and applied clear embossing powder.  This gives a shiny, subtle background.

I cut out the fancy frame from one of the darker DSP sheets and mounted the vellum on top using tiny dots of glue behind the embossed areas so that the adhesive didn’t show through.

For my next card, I stamped the foliage and snowflakes in the same ink as the card base, Blackberry Bliss in this case.

The fancy frame was cut from Smoky Slate and I went over the edges with my Wink of Stella pen to get a sparkly, frosty look.

The last card was made the same way using Night of Navy and Seaside Spray.

 

 

Images © 2019 Stampin’ Up!