‘Oops!’ Moment

Do you ever have an ‘oops!’ moment, usually when you’re 99% through creating your card?  The decision then is whether to plough on and try to recover it or bin it and start again.  I will generally try the former, usually by stamping over the offending area however it wasn’t possible on this card so I had to think of something else.  Glitter came to the rescue!

The aim was for a clean and simple slimline card in landscape format, with a cat on a rainbow platform. To begin, I masked off the bottom section and blended a variety of inks to make the rainbow section.  I spritzed with a little water to give some texture.

Using my Stamparatus stamp positioner, as I wanted the cat silhouette to be super solid, I stamped the image 4 times.

The cat stamp is Mimsy by Lavinia Stamps

After the sentiment was stamped, I felt it needed something extra so added a couple of small star clusters. Versafine Clair ink is slow drying and I’d inadvertently put the side of my hand onto the cat and then printed above.  There was not much I could do to over-stamp that error.

Added a black marker line to ground Mimsy – and an unintentional smudge of ink just above him!

So, it was now a case of starting over.  Or maybe I could hide the ‘oops!’ by covering the entire panel in glitter?  It was worth a try anyway.  I covered the panel in Versamark and added Heat ‘n’ Stick powder, which goes on white but goes clear (and slightly sticky) when heated.

The glitter was added and the panel heated again, which sets the glitter in place.  I brushed the panel over the bin to remove any excess glitter so that the recipient doesn’t get covered in it when they remove the card from the envelope!  Once the glitter was on, the smudge wasn’t visible any longer.   Result!

Mooch doesn’t like being left out so he featuures on the envelope and on the inside liner.

Heart Turnabout

My energy levels have been seriously depleted since my surgery last October.  It’s been really difficult just getting through each day so the tank’s been empty when I’ve tried to get creating.   So, when I saw this stamp, I figured it just designs itself, all I’ve got to think of are the colours.  The stamp is from Concord and 9th and they have a range of these turnabout stamps, designed to be used with a stamping platform.

Starting with a 5¾” square piece of card, I stamped my first colour.

The card was then rotated 90° and stamped 3 more times.  You can use whatever colours you fancy, maybe adding a layer of embossing powder for some extra bling.

Since the stamped backgrounds were essentially the card, I wanted the sentiment to be the focal image so used Happy, Happy, Happy from Lawn Fawn, heat embossed in white onto black card.

The sentiment was mounted onto a stitched circle die-cut and the card finished with a few sequins.  I love this pastel version!

Hearts stamped in Stampin’ Up! inks: Seaside Spray, So Saffron, Rococo Rose and Mint Macaron

This bright version was for a male friend so, rather than sequins, I added a little silver twine around the panel.

Hearts stamped using Stampin’ Up! inks: Pacific Point, So Saffron, Poppy Parade and Garden Green

This one in shades of blue was for Mr L.  The ‘husband’ was cut using my Cricut and I added some silver twine and heart rhinestones over a few of the stamped hearts.

Hearts stamped with Stampin’ Up! Pacific Point, Seaside Spriay and Smoky Slate, with silver embossing powder

These last 2 cards were made using the off-cuts from the A4 sheet.  I only stamped 3 times as I quite like the less busy look but added embossing powder to one of the turns.

Hearts stamped in Blackberry Bliss and Lovely Lipstick, with silver embossing powder added to the left panel, copper to the right.

A Cricut Challenge

I bought this Nordic ornament stamp last week and I’ve been trying to think of the best way to present it.  It’s about 5¼” across and I don’t have any dies that big.  Also, I wanted it to have the hanger part on the top too so a straight circle die wouldn’t work.  This seemed like a perfect job for the Cricut.

To begin, I stamped the hanger and bow and scanned it in to my computer.  I imported it into Inkscape using a great tutorial from TroyTube on YouTube and then added an offset (the red part) to give me my basic cut-out shape.  I played around with the shape a bit to remove the holes to make the cut-out section sturdier.

Next, I uploaded the finished shape into Cricut Design Space and scaled it to fit the stamped image.  I made the basic card shape by making a circle 5½” diameter and welding the ornament hanger onto the top.  I also sliced a smidge off the bottom so that the card would stand up.  The shape was duplicated and flipped horizontally so that it would be a mirror image and then overlapped the first circle a small amount to give a place for the fold.  A test cut revealed not quite a perfect fit but close enough.

My first card was for a swap in a Facebook group.  I stamped the image in Versamark and heat embossed in white before blending pink, purple and blue inks over.  The embossing resists the ink but gives texture with a lovely blended background.  Lastly, I added some rhinestones on the centre of the snowflakes and a small sentiment.  And a decorated envelope, of course!

I tried the stamp out on other coloured cards to see if it was as effective.  It gave good results whether it was heat embossed or just stamped, although a stamp positioner does help as it’s tricky to get all sections of big stamps to stamp well first time.

White embossing powder on Real Red and gold embossing powder on Shaded Spruce
White embossing powder on Sahara Sand and silver ink on Blackberry Bliss

I hate waste so try to salvage anything that hasn’t gone to plan.  Tags to the rescue!